‘The Hamilton Mixtape’ is so cute

A touching re-visit of the musical tune’s by music’s best
Courtesy of Lin Manuel Miranda

While it may be difficult to live up to a Grammy award-winning musical, The Hamilton Mixtape certainly does it justice.

From Usher to Kelly Clarkson to Jimmy Fallon, this new project transports the original soundtrack into a more relatable, catchy form.

With the great variety of artists contributing to the project, it’s easy to become reeled in and tantalized by the possibility of what each star adds to the already unique album.

The fresh takes throughout the mixtape flesh out and give additional color to many of the influences already present in the original and add some as well.

A genius inclusion of Jimmy Fallon singing “You’ll Be Back” expands interest to the comedy spectrum of media, attracting a different crowd of listeners to the mixtape.

On latest album, Chance the Rapper shares love of life, pursuit of happiness with listeners

Released as a single, “My Shot” covered by The Roots and featuring other artists, gives exactly what listeners need to revive an interest in “Hamilton,” if one was needed at all.

Not only is it motivating in its lyrics, but the steady and upbeat tempo provides listeners a sense of stability and drive to overcome anything that might be going on in their lives.

Jill Scott’s similarly accomplishes this sensation with her powerful track “Say Yes To This,” reaching listeners with a very different style from the rest of the album as she strives for gospel-like power within her tone and volume.

There are many immensely motivating tracks found across the mixtape. John Legend brings the same theme to the table with his cover of “History Has Its Eyes On You.” It’s less upbeat, but he creates a slower, more piano bar vibe.

With 23 very different tracks involved in the mixtape, one of the most notably unique aspects includes the track “Dear Theodosia,” covered by Chance the Rapper, Francis and the Lights and Regina Spektor.

Both artists are adequate in portraying the “parenthood song” theme that was originally used in the musical. By using a female and a male artist to cover this track, the mixtape is able to equally represent the ideals of each parent, regardless of gender.

The Hamilton Mixtape is something we have all heard before, but only in the terms of the lyrics. Its ability to stand alone from the original comes from defamiliarizing the music sonically, but retaining its original emotion and spirit.

It would be unfortunate to miss out on it, even if it is a collection of covers.