Q&A: ‘Girl Code’ stars are working to destigmatize emergency contraception

MTV’s Diab and Aquilino talked involvement, importance of Perfectly Imperfect

Carly Aquilino and Nessa Diab of MTV’s “Girl Code” visited University of Wisconsin Tuesday evening as part of the Perfectly Imperfect Project.

The Perfectly Imperfect tour visits college campuses through local chapters of national online magazine ‘Her Campus’ throughout the school year to discuss facts surrounding emergency contraception and to break down the notion of what it means to be perfect.

The Badger Herald sat down with Aquilino and Niab to discuss what the project means to them and the importance of their work.

The following interview was edited for style and clarity.

The Badger Herald: How did you get involved with the Perfectly Imperfect Project?

Aquilino: Through MTV — they asked us if we wanted to be involved and they told us a lot about the campaign. We both felt really strongly about it. It’s important to talk to college students and girls in that demographic about it. We thought, “Who better to talk to them than us?” They watch us in their dorms, follow us on Instagram, we talk about what they talk about and we’ve been through what they’re going through. It’s an important campaign for sure.

BH: What do you guys offer to this event that other celebrities couldn’t?

Diab: We’re very relatable.

CA: We keep it real!

ND: Yeah, we’re down-to-earth and we get it. We understand all of the things that people go through on a day-to-day basis and we’re OK to be vulnerable about it. We’re transparent about everything we’ve gone through. I think people really appreciate that, just like we appreciate them for caring about that.

BH: The event is sponsored by Plan B One-Step. There’s often a stereotype surrounding Plan B users that they are irresponsible or careless. How does the Perfectly Imperfect Project help destigmatize emergency contraception?

CA: It’s saying that it’s perfectly imperfect to use Plan B. Things don’t always work out the way you want them to, no matter how hard you try to plan everything out ahead of time. Something is bound to happen. Maybe you’ll miss your train or your flight will be delayed or you wake up late. I think it’s important to make everybody realize that we all go through these things. As hard as you try, sometime you’ll need an emergency contraception and it’s important to know the facts about it.

ND: One of the things I want people to realize is that they need to understand the real facts about it. I think a lot of people base their opinions off assumptions or whatever hypothetical situation they’ve come up with in their head about what’s really going on. That’s why the website, Perfectlyimperfectandme.com, is really good to check out. It’s actual stats and facts. There’s no emotions to it. Just look at it and see if you know all of that information. Then, you can decide whatever you want to decide, but at least have the proper information to make the right decision that’s best for you.

BH: Why do you think initiatives like the Perfectly Imperfect Project and shows like Girl Code are essential for college-aged women?

ND: I remember when I was in college, shout out to UC-Berkeley, that whole time frame was so confusing and exhausting. There’s so much pressure to do well in school, to make your parents happy and to make sure you’re up to par with your friends. It was just a lot of constantly trying to catch up.

I think that once you realize that it’s all right and that we’ve all been there and you’re going to get through it, I think it really makes it better. With these types of programs it’s important to bring out normal people like us to talk. We don’t have people carrying us around and putting our shoes on for us. We understand that after college you have to get a real job and it’s going to be OK. So I think these programs are important for young women and men to feel like they have a support system.

BH: What does Perfectly Imperfect mean to you?

ND: Being yourself and not being ashamed about being yourself. That feeling is so liberating when you’re OK with yourself. Like, it’s fine! It’s cool! You know what, I am not perfect and that’s the best feeling on earth.

CA: And nobody is perfect! Just embrace it and be yourself. When you don’t care about what anyone else thinks of you and you do your own thing, that’s the most fun you’ll ever have.

The original post stated that Perfectly Imperfect visits campuses on their own. It should have read it is done so through those campuses’ chapters of ‘Her Campus,’ an online magazine. The Badger Herald regrets this error.