On latest album, The Lumineers bring back same old sound for good reason

On ‘Cleopatra,’ folk-pop band are back just the way you like it.
Courtesy of Tumblr user euphemiafleurtrinket

Since the release of their self-titled debut album in 2012, most of the world has probably forgotten about Denver-based folk-rock band The Lumineers.

You may have heard “Hey Ho” come on in a coffee shop and thought, “Oh, hey! I love this song!” and proceeded to hum along. But that is probably the only thought you’ve given them lately.

But with the release of their latest album Cleopatra and an upcoming world tour, the band has made it clear they’re back — and this time, they’re here to stay.

Courtesy of DualTonesRecord.com

The album starts off strong with tracks “Sleep On The Floor,” “Ophelia” and “Cleopatra,” reminding listeners why they love The Lumineers. Each track showcases their staple traits, including lead singer Wesley Schultz’s soulful vocals, heavy guitar riffs, marching band-style drumming, intricate piano melodies and poetic lyrics.

As the album progresses, the songs become slower and simpler. One standout track, “Angela,” has moving lyrics and a beautiful melody.

But much like their first album, Cleopatra has little diversity among its songs. Fans of the band’s simplistic indie sound will appreciate the continuity, but it gets old quickly.

Many of the tracks are too similar, and since the album is so short — 11 songs totaling in 33 minutes — the album feels tired after just a few listens. The likeliness between songs even travels between albums. “Sick In The Head” off Cleopatra has an almost identical guitar line to “Flowers In Your Hair” off their first album.

That being said, the band is clearly trying to differentiate their sound, and they do so by experimenting with different sounds in several other tracks. On “My Eyes,” Schultz surprises listeners by straying away from the familiar melody and shifting the tone in an unexpectedly eerie way. The result is an intriguing melody that begs to be played again.

The songs people will love and listen to on repeat, though, are still the ones that stay true to The Lumineers’ sound, like the aforementioned singles “Ophelia” and “Cleopatra.”

Maybe you’ll listen to Cleopatra once or twice all the way through — and you should, because in truth, it’s a nice album.

Whether you’re a die-hard fan or just someone who enjoys hearing one of their hits on the radio, in a few years’ time, it’s guaranteed you will have forgotten about them again, assuming a similar drought follows the release of Cleopatra.

You will again be sipping a coffee in some cute shop somewhere, only this time “Cleopatra” will come on, and you’ll remember just how good The Lumineers are.

This is because, diverse music or not, The Lumineers refuse to be forgotten.

Rating: 3.8/5