In new exhibit, Adria Kaufman perceives perceptions brilliantly

‘Depth of Perceptions’ shows the fragility in how we see people
Kristin Washagan

Adria Kaufman’s artistic style — equal parts modern and classic — shows minimalistic charm, along with playful energy and individuality.

In “Depth of Perceptions,” her debut exhibit, the artist gives an insightful look into her held beliefs and people she has encountered through portraits. Each portrait in the show seems to tell a story, and each muse depicted has a distinct personality.

The title of each portrait is either the name of the subject of the artwork, or their title. One title is “That one barista,” another, “My favorite bartender … is his name James?”

Kristin Washagan/The Badger Herald

Kaufman shows the other-worldly perceptions we have of the people who — for some reason — tend to remain stuck in our subconscious. Kaufman shows we tend to attribute certain traits and qualities to people, regardless of the intimacy of the relationship with that person.

With no idea or information pertaining to the state of the relationship between the artist and subject, spectators are forced to infer and interpret the apparent personality of the subject.

In Kaufman’s portrait “Joanna,” she depicts a stylish, confident woman with small yet refined features and a cigarette carelessly dangling from her puckered lips. There is a maturity and high energy produced by the portrait that shows the distinctly cool disposition of the subject.

Kristin Washagan/The Badger Herald

On the contrary, in Kaufman’s piece “Claudia,” she shows a woman with a soft smile and gentle eyes, resting her face on her hand. Leaning forward towards the viewer, the subject shows a distinct warmth and kindness in her gaze that leaves viewers with the perception she has an easy-going and genuine personality.

The only aspect consistent throughout pieces was the black and white coloring of either ink and pen or charcoal —occasionally supplemented by rosy red cheeks in certain portraits.

Despite this being Kaufman’s debut gallery show, the classic display and lighting created a professional atmosphere that displayed a consistent, clear theme throughout. The gentle spotlight lighting fashioned an immediate focus on the works alone, showing them as uniform, but individual.

Kristin Washagan/The Badger Herald

Kaufman’s dedication to sincerity and aestheticism can be seen heavily through “Depth of Perception,” and one can only hope Madison will see more shows from Kaufman in the near future.

“Depth of Perceptions” held its opening reception on April 10, and will be at the Conrad A, Elvehjem building until April 16.

Editors note: A previous version incorrectly stated that this event was held at the Chazen Art Museum. It is actually held at the Conrad A. Elvehjem building. The Badger Herald regrets this error.