Hitlist: Verdant vernal tunes to warm up the end of winter

Jumpstart positive spring vibrations with this week’s set of tunes
Courtesy of Tumblr user dreamofthedragon

With this week’s playlist, spring is coming early this year.

After an unexpectedly mild winter, we’ve almost reached springtime. Though there are still a few weeks left of the season, it’s safe to say the dreariness of winter is over — or at least it will be when you hear this playlist.

Celebrate an early spring with this collection of chipper, refreshing tracks featuring some of the hottest artists of the moment like French singer Petite Meller, who has built up quite a buzz in anticipation of her debut.

The playlist begins with the psychedelic, blissed out “Comfy in Nautica” by indie genius Panda Bear. The track opens with the sound of a train going along a track while a wall of trippy sounds begins to build all around.

From this magnificent and sunshine-filled opening, the playlist moves into Kylie Minogue’s chilled-out “Someday,” which is, perhaps, more suited for one of spring’s rainy days.

From then on, the playlist goes back and forth between bright, joyous songs and breezier, moodier songs not unlike the season itself, which alternates between sunny and rainy days that can last a whole week.

Be sure not to forget Gloria Ann Taylor’s magnificent 1973 single, “Love is a Hurtin’ Thing,” which is so euphoric and lush it makes me tear with joy almost every time I hear it.

Tune in next week for even more tracks, and say goodbye to winter with this one.