Kendrick Lamar, Taylor Swift win big at epic, emotional 2016 Grammys

Everything you need to know about what happened last night at music industry’s biggest night
Courtesy of MTV

Last night, music’s biggest stars congregated to, as host LL Cool J put it, “celebrate the awesome power of music.” Celebrations included massive performances by Kendrick Lamar, Adele, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift and even a guitar-playing Johnny Depp.

Kendrick Lamar racked up five awards including Rap Album of the Year for To Pimp A Butterfly and Best Rap Performance and Best Rap Song for his track “Alright.” 

Lamar also gave a politically charged performance of a few songs off his album. The spectacular showing included the artist entering the stage in a prison setting in chains and impressive visuals like scenes of a riot and a map of Africa with his hometown of Compton depicted on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWyo1CCODwg

Taylor Swift also scored big. Her album 1989 won Album of the Year, which made her the only woman to win the award twice.

“There are going to be people along the way who will try to undercut your success or take credit for your accomplishments or your fame, but if you just focus on the work and you don’t let those people sidetrack you, someday when you get where you are going, you’ll look around and you will know that it was you and the people who love you who put you there and that will be the greatest feeling in the world,” Swift said in her acceptance speech.

Some believe this quote was a response to Kanye West’s recent claims he is responsible for Swift’s fame. Further disproving West’s claim, Swift also received awards for Best Pop Vocal Album and Best Music Video.

There were tributes to honor the musicians that were lost in 2016, including B.B. King and Glenn Frey. Lady Gaga also gave a performance in tribute to David Bowie, who died last month at the age of 69 after a long battle with cancer. Gaga sported a Ziggy Stardust-inspired get up and added her own flare to a medley of 10 Bowie Songs from the ’70s and ’80s in an epic six-minute performance. The presentation was filled with computer effects and advanced technology including a moving robotic piano. Gaga has cited Bowie many times as an inspiration for her own career and gave a performance that would not disappoint the musician and fashion icon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fGBZhsa4VU

One performance stood out unexpectedly last night: Lin Manuel Miranda’s “Hamilton,” which brought home the Grammy for Best Musical Theatre Album. This was the first ever live Broadway performance in Grammy history. The musical seemed to be the talk of the town last night, which was surprising and refreshing considering the biggest names in music were all in attendance.

Ed Sheeran was another notable winner. He took home Grammys for Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance. The Alabama Shakes also managed to snag three awards including Best Rock Performance, Best Alternative Music Album and Best Rock Song. Meghan Trainor took home Best New Artist, further cementing her already dazzling future.

Finally, if you’re wondering why Adele hasn’t snagged all the Grammys in sight, her album 25 is not eligible for this year’s awards, but will almost definitely make waves next year.

A complete list of all nominees and winners can be found here.