Umphrey’s McGee hosts amiable crowd at Orpheum, delivers abundance of diverse sound

Spilling over with variety of musical tones, progressive rock band satisfies with delightful vibes
Daniel Chinitz

The quality of an Umphrey’s McGee show goes beyond exceptional sound; they make the halls of the venue vibrate with the synchronized movement of the band’s avid disciples. Their good-natured energy perpetually hovers in the atmosphere. 

It’s too easy to get caught up rhapsodizing about an Umphrey’s show — even as someone who doesn’t have a particularly close relationship to the jam scene. But a few defining moments from their Friday night performance stood out.

Umphrey’s McGee returns to familiar stomping ground with ever-changing music

The band welcomed saxophonist and collaborator Joshua Redman on stage about halfway through their first set — it was immediately clear he wasn’t there to simply layer on additional sounds in the background. Redman was front and center, and steered the sound into a different dimension that the regular sextet couldn’t explore on their own. Redman dipping into a fusion of funk and free jazz, and watching him trade lead guitarist Jake Cinninger note for note in a technical jam was something to behold.

Umphrey’s performance was incredible with the sheer range of sound they created. The band opened their set with a heavy, progressive rock sound before transitioning into a more funky, key-heavy sound. They then changed to acoustic guitars for “Gone for Good,” “Uncle Wally” and “That’s the Way.”

The second set opened with an upbeat, disco-tinged sound, and then transitioned into a more straightforward rock sound, which persisted through the rest of the performance.

Separating and categorizing Umphrey’s performance into different sounds doesn’t do them justice, as they combined so many elements and styles. Nevertheless, the sonic ground Umphrey’s covered was unbelievable.

A high level of technical skill and cohesion within the band enhanced their exceptional sound. This aspect, a product of being together nearly 20 years and playing more than 2,000 shows, was evident throughout, but most clear in the exchanges between Cinninger and Redman.

As a band, it was apparent that Umphrey’s was on the same page for the duration of the show. Despite a great deal of improvisation, they were able to cleanly and effectively take the sound where they wanted it to go.

The ultimate defining quality of Umphrey’s Madison performance was the crowd. Unique and far from the soberest bunch, Umphrey’s fans are a set all their own. They were exceptionally pleasant. Rather than pushing their way through to the front, most were respectful of space while navigating the crowd. Aside from this, fans went out of their way to talk to each other and make new friends — a rare find at upbeat shows.

It’s easy to get starry-eyed about an Umphrey’s show. The camaraderie between the members of the band, the audience and relationship between Cinninger and Redman created a most refreshing environments. Paired with top-notch music, the show was truly remarkable.