Frank Turner enthralls cult-like crowd at Majestic

English singer-songwriter — accompanied by locals Mascot Theory, reggae-inspired Chef’Special — brings rock across the pond
Frank+Turner.
Joey Reuteman
Frank Turner.

The Majestic was sold out Tuesday night. People stood shoulder to shoulder, and bodies were pinned up against all the walls. 

English singer-songwriter Frank Turner and his backing band The Sleeping Souls were massively supported by fans, even in the cold. Triple M 105.5 hosted the event and openers The Mascot Theory and Chef’Special brought their own flare to the night.

Doomtree to play Barrymore with politically conscious, enthusiastic performance

Local alt-folk rock group, The Mascot Theory, treated the audience to Americana-tinged songs as the group maneuvered their way through their set, including new tracks from their upcoming album. They brought blue-grass, upbeat tunes about heartache and nostalgia as the drums kicked, the guitars twanged and the trio created soaring harmonies.  

Chef’Special completely changed the vibe as they took the stage. The Netherlands-based band surprisingly brought reggae and rock together to inspire the crowd to dance and hop around.

Clearly taking notes from Bob Marley, Chef’Special’s lead singer, Joshua Nolet, rapped through the upbeat tracks. Singing about love and positivity, the crowd fell prey to the good vibes, especially during a killer guitar solo that garnered well-deserved whistles and cheers of approval.

The Majestic, however, was sold out because of one man: Frank Turner. As the other band members plugged into their amps and set up their instruments, the audience was bubbling with anticipation.

When Turner took the stage, donning a white dress shirt rolled up just enough to show his impressive collection of forearm tattoos, the crowd exploded. The noise quickly dimmed as soon as the guitar chords and bass-lines kicked in.

Playing songs from his extensive previous works and including new performances from his album Positive Songs for Negative People, Turner knew exactly how to feed the hungry crowd.  His acoustic blend of punk rock and singer-songwriter production filled the audience with everything they wanted.  

ODESZA elevates Orpheum with waves of ethereal sound

Turner and his bandmates were like cult leaders — in a good way — as their loyal subjects sang every word and filled the bursting venue music they truly wanted. The passion of each crowd member was contagious and made the concert unforgettable for both themselves and for Turner.