Screaming girls aside, Kodaline fails to distinguish themselves from rest of indie

Encore proved to be only moment worth remembering at this Irish rock quartet’s performance
Caroline Harper

“What was the name of that band I saw last night?”

One may expect that question from a dementia patient or someone who got too twisted at the concert, but I found myself — less than 20 hours after the show — asking just that.

The answer, of course, is the Irish rock quartet Kodaline. But had it not been for the banner behind them bearing their name, it truly could have been any pop-leaning indie rock band.

That’s not to say Kodaline didn’t have catchy songs or play their instruments proficiently at the Majestic Wednesday night — they did. Rather, there was nothing particularly exciting or unique about their performance.

But judging by the crowd’s reaction, I may be one of the few to have that opinion. Following each song and the occasional beckoning glance from frontman Steve Garrigan, the female-heavy audience screamed in overwhelming approval.

In response to the praises, Garrigan almost exclusively resorted to his seemingly default response — a thumbs up. Audience cheers? Thumbs up. Introducing a song? Thumbs up. Asking if everyone’s having a good time? Thumbs up again.

The group seemed to not venture past their default style when playing, either. Selecting primarily from their two most recent releases, “In A Perfect World” and “Coming Up For Air,” the band adhered closely to the album version. The band’s acoustic numbers came through better than the songs in which they included electric guitar, perhaps suggesting Kodaline does better with warmer, brighter songs as opposed to when they attempt to sound like U2.

Likely the most exciting moment of the set came near the end of the show, when the band stopped and ordered security to kick a guy (in a Minnesota sweatshirt) out. They claimed it was the first time they’d done anything like it. Welcome to Madison, Kodaline.

But in contrast with most of the show, the encore, “All I Want,” impressed. Aside from being a catchy and seemingly heartfelt song, it was enticing to see the quiet, restrained beginning blossom into something more grand. It felt cathartic, and after 60 minutes of blandness, it was welcome.

The ultimate downfall of Kodaline’s show was the sheer, mind-numbing blandness of it — they failed to set themselves apart.

Maybe it would be best if I just forgot this show.