Black Violin educates, inspires area students at interactive Overture performance

Kevin Sylvester, Wilner Baptiste combine Wiz Khalifa with classical strings to battle stereotypes for grades 3-12 Tuesday night
Black+Violin
Daniel Chinitz
Black Violin

Madison has been graced by the presence of the up-and-coming and incredible act that is Black Violin. After their 2015 release Stereotypes, they are making headway touring across the country and kicking ass stage-by-stage.

Black Violin’s goal is to help eliminate negative judgments. In order to get out their message, Black Violin played two shows Tuesday at the Overture for school field trips.

Black Violin delivers unique activism with hip-hop and classical blend

“Their message about breaking down stereotypes is perfect for the kids,” Overture Center spokesperson Alanna Medearis said. “They do a lot of improve in their show, so kids get to see into the creative process.”

Before they took the stage for their second show, Kevin Sylvester, Wilner Baptiste and the band went through their set list to figure out how they could get the kids out of their chairs and on their feet.

They certainly delivered. All students from grades 3-12 were up boppin’ to stylistic covers of Wiz Khalifa’s “We Dem Boyz,” Bruno Mars’ “Treasure” and many others.

But, Black Violin not only covered crowd favorites. Students were dancing to Violin’s own hits such as “Magic” and “Another Chance.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJyukqp0mFQ

Throughout their performance, Sylvester and Baptiste danced and sang while their drummer and DJ rocked it behind them. Each member shone during his or her improvisations, which were individually incredible.

Black Violin is an act people will be sure to hear more from in the future; their classical, innovative shredding is redefining stereotypes for adults and third graders like.

Updated Oct. 8 at 11:34 a.m.