Marina and the Diamonds live up to hype with self-empowered new album

Welsh pop princess Marina Diamandis sheds alter-ego to take on rape culture, other mature themes in ‘Froot’
Marina lives up to her Electra Heart hype
Gif courtesy of Tumblr/Giphy
Marina lives up to her ‘Electra Heart’ hype

Whether her title is idol, role model or spirit animal, Marina Diamandis has been dubbed a variety of respectable names. Collectively, they reflect the incomparable adoration of her fiercely loyal fan base. Otherwise known under her stage moniker, Marina and the Diamonds, it is no secret the electro-pop princess has touched the lives of her fans with extremely relatable and almost therapeutic music, not to mention its breathless catchiness.

This past Monday, Diamandis unleashed 12 tracks worth of inspiration and remarkable strength. The third album from the 29-year-old Welsh singer-songwriter, Froot, gifted listeners with a raw, effortless and fearless set of tracks, communicating words of reflection and empowerment.

This sentiment exemplifies a major narrative shift from Diamandis’ previous album, Electra Heart. While Electra Heart was written from the shoes of her intentionally insipid and fame obsessed alter ego, Diamandis takes the opportunity in Froot to knock down pop music’s superficial walls. As a result, the “real” Marina and the Diamonds has now come forward.

This shift into introspective contemplation is especially reflected in the opening ballad “Happy,” in which she softly sets the story for the rest of her tracks. It is an appropriate umbrella for the remainder of Froot to fall under. Diamandis laces herself in a vulnerable, naked spotlight and openly vocalizes her challenges seeking identity.

Yet, she emerges as victorious, crooning, “I believe in possibility, I believe someone’s watching over me, and finally I have found a way to be happy.”

Other tracks reflect Diamandis’ unique musicianship. Songs like “Blue” and “Forget” are upbeat but convey a sense of agitation. “Forget” seems to serve as a continuation of one of Diamandis’ older songs, “Teen Idle.” The melodies, keys and rhythms are similar as well as the type of story. However, “Forget” remains different in its more optimistic take on life’s inevitable struggle than the somber, slightly fearful nature of “Teen Idle.” Regret, confusion and entrapment are no more. Instead it is “time to forget.”

The title track, “Froot,” is extremely reminiscent of Electra Heart, in addition to Diamandis’ first album, The Family Jewels. She stays true to her distinct New Wave style, complete with synth and colorful dance beats. The instrumentals sound as if they emerged straight from an old arcade video game, an entrancing number made even more hypnotic with sultry mezzo vocals. It is clear Diamandis is liberated and in pursuit of her new object of desire. Her characteristic lyrical nature remains, referring to her back and forth, combative inner dialogue. However, despite this, a confident air and assurance prevails that serves as a subtle, yet effective undertone.

Perhaps the album’s most notable work comes with the second to last track, “Savages.” Diamandis draws on the prevalence of rape culture. The song kindles the idea that inherent vice exists.

“Underneath it all, we’re just savages, hidden behind shirts, ties, and marriages / How could we expect anything at all, we’re just animals still learning how to crawl.”

These chilling lyrics possess a startling amount of intuition and provocation. While it is a change of pace from self-discovery to universal challenges, it still corroborates the theme of the album.

The final track, “Immortal,” also possesses haunting lyrics and melody. As if dipped in molasses, the song is all the more effective. Diamandis mulls over the hushed fear of post-mortem oblivion, weaving it into the album’s stunning finale.

Froot has allowed Diamandis to continue validating the high hopes of her loyal fan base, stacking up to the overwhelming pre-release hype. It is an introspective take into her personal life, as well as the greater issues and questions of society. She has, without hesitation, delivered a brilliant compilation. Her extraordinary courage to place herself in a position of vulnerability is both inspiring and entertaining. With Froot, Marina and the Diamonds will continue to uphold her incomparable status among fans across the world.

4.6/5