Flying Lotus finds the key to eternity on ‘You’re Dead!’

L.A.-based producer takes listeners on jazz fusion-influenced journey through death and the afterlife
Warp Records

An exclamation point almost always signifies a statement—but Flying Lotus’ new album title, You’re Dead!, is more so posed as an honest question. He seems to make the point that what it means to “be dead” is up for interpretation. FlyLo’s music is often reflective of his emotions and his latest work mirrors his sheer uncertainty on the afterlife. The jazz-infused, 19-track album tells an open-ended story that comes together to be both beautiful and thought-provoking.

Spastic jazz piano ascensions and jungle-esque tom-tom drums build on each other in the album’s first four songs leading up to “Never Catch Me,” featuring rising rap superstar and apparent existentialist Kendrick Lamar. The track is a cool, up-tempo culmination of previously introduced sounds, with drumbeats reminiscent of older Flying Lotus songs. Kendrick speaks for both himself and Flying Lotus when he willfully admits: “They say that Heaven’s real / Analyze my demise, I say I’m super anxious.” It becomes evident to Kendrick that to live forever is to have his legend and legacy live on—an inspiring viewpoint for any performer to take on.

Not to be overlooked, Snoop Dogg drops a verse on “Dead Man’s Tetris,” as does Flying Lotus under the moniker Captain Murphy. The song is true to its name, with bouncing Tetris synths that leap over an ominous bass-line and even darker lyrics. If the album so far was questioning whether or not you were truly dead, this song provides the clear answer — you are most certainly dead. Snoop, best known for his straightforwardness, gives you the prognosis: “Beep beep flatline / Gotta get yours, I been had mine.” The brilliant wordplay feeds back into Kendrick’s epiphany, reasoning that Snoop’s career has been so successful, he has already in theory died and knows his legend will carry on.

If you’ve just died in “Dead Man’s Tetris,” “Coronus, the Terminator” is the exact moment the angels (or demons) come for your soul. When releasing the song as a single, Flying Lotus tweeted that he was “singing about the end of mankind” in “Coronus.” The harmonious gospel verse offers a paradoxical solution to the downfall: “The days of men are coming to an end / So come with me, if you want to live.” The track is strangely relieving. FlyLo takes a weight off your shoulders and you’re lifted up to Heaven.

https://soundcloud.com/flyinglotus/coronus-the-terminator

It doesn’t come as a surprise Flying Lotus is well-versed in a wide variety of music genres, as the jazz fusion/hip-hop combination on You’re Dead! is complex, if at times scattered and unconnected. But he receives guidance from extremely talented musicians such as Herbie Hancock, who co-produces “Moment of Hesitation,” which features an eviscerating jazz sax solo, and Thundercat, who lays down funky, offbeat bass on several tracks. These two combine with FlyLo’s experimental synths and innovative beats to become one succinct, stunning idea time and time again throughout the album’s 38 minutes.

You’re Dead! wraps up with “Your Potential/The Beyond” and “The Protest” – two songs that seem to conclude Flying Lotus’s thoughts on death. That is, they seem to signify his coming to peace with the differing physical and supernatural conceptions of death. “The Protest” repeats FlyLo’s ultimate goal: “We will live on forever.” And if eternal life is guaranteed by building a legacy, the man is well on his way.

Flying Lotus continues to progress his sense of self by paralleling his understanding of the world in the music he composes. As soon as he asks unfathomable, existential questions, he answers them.