The Badger Herald’s guide to the Revelry main stage

Revelry Music and Arts Festival

It’s finally here, Badgers. The day formerly know as Mifflin has arrived, and with it comes the second annual Revelry Music and Arts Festival, held this year at Memorial Union and Langdon Street. The festival is still young, but it was able to pull in some impressive acts to the main stage this year. There’s plenty of fresh talent to check out throughout the day, and The Badger Herald has made a guide of which acts to check out at the main stage. Give our previews a peek to decide which acts are your best bets and which are worth skipping to shotgun a few more beers. Happy Revelry!

Dillon Francis

Dillon Francis aka DJ Hansel aka DJ RichAsFuck is about to take Revelry #OneDeeper, as his alter ego Hansel would say. Francis is rarely serious, always animated and very busy. When he’s not collaborating with Calvin Harris, Flux Pavilion and other EDM legends, he’s usually touring and playing wild shows across the country. The cat-loving, Taco Bell-eating, exuberant producer and DJ from Los Angeles has only been making music for four years, but his popularity has skyrocketed as of late. Francis has been a pioneer of the offbeat, heady moombahton genre, blazing the trail and blending new genres along the way. He’s not afraid to make electro house, trap and whatever else he’s in the mood for. Francis is as much of a DJ as he is a producer, which is what makes his live shows so entertaining. His signature catchy melodies such as in “I.D.G.A.F.O.S.” inevitably lead to big drops that are sure to make you dance and jump around. Get ready to get down, Badgers.  —Cam Ariana

Waka Flocka Flame

“The Muppet Show” seems harmless enough. Cutesy, stuffed animal puppets typically aren’t associated with rap music. Yet, it’s from this cherished television series that rap god Juaquin Malphurs earned his stage name Waka Flocka Flame. Despite his commendable popularity, Waka had no intentions of becoming a rapper. His ascendancy to national fame is not surprising, however, given that Waka was born in what is often considered the breadbasket of successful rap musicians: New York City. Originally from Queens, Waka shares the hometown of quite a few hip-hop superstars, the likes of 50 Cent, LL Cool J and Ja Rule. Since his rise to fame in 2008, Waka has released a steady stream of hit albums filled with hard-hitting trap bangers. His performance in Madison this Saturday is sure to feature a few singles off his highly anticipated Flockaveli 2. In the sea of stellar artists set to perform at Revelry, Waka Flocka is one that should not be missed. —Meghan Horvath

G-Eazy

G-Eazy is an Oakland, Calif. native who knows music. His songs, which usually combine the vocals of featured artists and varied, innovative beats, are extremely, stuck-on-repeat catchy. His new album, These Things Happen, comes out in June, and if the sensual track “Let’s Get Lost” is any indicator, it is bound to be epic. With the look of a young, disheveled Tobey Maguire, Gerald Earl Gillum (a name with true swag) is a little-known name that deserves a wider audience. He dedicates many of his lyrics to the rap industry itself and confrontations with his “almost famous” status. He works on his own, the producer and songwriter of his music, with frequent chorus contributions from truly talented, small names in music. Like every other young rapper, he’s egomaniacal, a partier, a bachelor. He’s bound to bring both spirit and energy to Revelry. —Lexy Brodt

Sky Ferreira

It’s not often that a model turned musician creates her own edgy, pop-electronic sound, but that’s exactly what Sky Ferreira has done. Ferreira, with her unique mixture of self-doubt crooned over modern techno beats, created a somehow both overrated and under-appreciated debut album Night Time, My Time, released last fall. Her lyrics deal with personal demons, and her sultry voice melds perfectly with the deep beats she utilizes for the background. With awesome tracks such as “24 Hours” and “I Blame Myself,” Ferreira’s set is something not to be missed for fans of both traditional pop music and electronic dance. —Phebe Myers

Angel Olsen

Indie folk singer-songwriter Angel Olsen began playing music early in life while “needing something to relate to” during family difficulties. In the initial stages of her career, Olsen gained a following and broadened her audience through collaborative work with other artists, such as Emmett Kelly and Bonnie “Prince” Billy. Soon after, Olsen branded her own name on the front of an album, recording her acoustic debut album, Half Way Home, which had a folksy feel. This year, Olsen decided to not only change labels but alter her sound on her recently-released album, Burn Your Fire for No Witness. Although she’s altered her sound and developed as an artist, the raw, early-life emotions remain buried in her music and performance. Olsen sings with a melodic and enchanting tone that digs down into the music’s profound and carefully composed lyrical roots, tugging at the heartstrings and toying with emotions of hope and despair. Despite her pleasantly alluring vocals, she manages to present herself with an edginess and power, which are echoed in the electric-alternative backings of her band. The mélange of folksy and electric-alternative produces an innovative and compelling sound, with a focus on development and harmonious contradiction — wild yet controlled, fierce yet gentle, smooth yet rugged, full sounds but stripped to the bone. Olsen and her band are a rare gem too “off the mainstream” to pass up seeing live. —Sam Sklar

Bronze Radio Return

Jumping around or getting down and dirty during concerts is not for everybody. Bronze Radio Return will provide a great alternative for people who want a mellow concert and want to chill while listening to great music. Bronze Radio Return is an American indie/roots rock band with six members. Featuring unusual instruments like organ, harmonica and banjo, the band provides a unique sound that will not be present at other Revelry performances. The sextet is able to effectively blend vocals and various instruments to create a beautiful folk sound that will keep people engaged. Lead singer Chris Henderson’s soft vocals resemble those of the insanely popular Mumford and Sons as they both have that soft, beautiful voice found in much folk music. Since Bronze Radio Return is fairly early in the day, it’s a perfect performance to begin the festivities before more upbeat and energetic performances at night. —Colleen Kennedy