Wallflowers’ set to rattle Majestic with new material

The Wallflowers are set to reboot roots-rock melodies tonight alongside material from a fresh album, leaving them energized to rock the Majestic.

Featuring songs from their first studio album in seven years, along with old fan favorites, this show is likely to have something for everyone.

Glad All Over is the band’s sixth and most recent album, and features tracks such as the Clash-inspired track “Reboot the Mission” with guest artist Mick Jones, and a quintessential Wallflowers run on “First One in the Car.” According to Bassist Greg Richling, the album came together from the classic scenario of simple jam sessions.

“We built [the album] from jamming and playing together,” he said. “The songs were built from drum beats and grooves.”

Energized and refreshed after a hiatus, Richling said plenty of new material will accompany their familiar songs. 

The lineup for this tour combines original band members Jakob Dylan, bass player Greg Richling and keyboardist Rami Jaffee, with longtime guitarist Stuart Mathis and a new drummer, Jack Irons, who has played with the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam.

During the hiatus, Dylan completed several solo projects, Jaffee recorded and toured with The Foo Fighters and Richling started a family, while still working on a side project with Irons.

“I just started playing for fun because while I was producing I was feeling the itch to get back into a band type setting,” Richling said. “The Wallflowers weren’t ready, so I just formed a band with my favorite drummer.”

With experience and time working in his favor, Richling gained a new perspective on making music with the band.

“The main difference is when you start producing bands you have your eye on the full picture of what’s going on with the song or the record, as opposed to when you’re in a band, you’re worrying about what your part is in the song.”

The individuals’ experiences outside of The Wallflowers has brought a new vivacity to their sound.

“Everybody collectively has done so many things in the last seven years; I think that sonically we’re just a little bit different because of those different influences coming in,” Richling said.

The band subconsciously found a balance between their old sound and a new twist this time around. Dylan came in with most of the lyrics ready, but little or none of the music, Richling said.

“We used a list of songs that we liked as a sort of blueprint to get the essence of the material,” Richling said.

He credits influences ZZ Top, Ike and Tina Turner and the Clash, among others. The band jammed in the studio in the vein of these artists until they found the right sound for Glad All Over, Richling said.

“We’ve always just gone in a room and we just see what happens. There was never any talk of should we protect the sound, or should we try to be current,” Richling said. “We got it right in the arrangement as we played it live. That’s what I’m most proud of.”

The Wallflowers’ sound has evolved since 1989, but their fans know they still make records with songs they care about, according to Richling.

“You’ve got to grow,” Richling said. “You don’t really have a choice; what you’re doing is just a product of what you’re around and influenced by.”

The Wallflowers will have 12 new songs infused in their set of classics.
“Seven years in pop or rock is such a long time that I almost feel like we can be a brand new band to a whole new generation of people,” Richling said.

The Wallflowers will play at the Majestic Theatre at 8 p.m. Monday. Tickets are $30 and doors open at 7 p.m. Visit www.majesticmadison.com for more information.