Three thumbs-up for PBJ’s ‘Gimme Some’

peterbjornandjohn
Revisiting the sound that characterized ‘Writer’s Block’ and made them such an international sensation, PBJ get back to the familiar catchy rhythms fans love.[/media-credit]

It’s a baking hot July afternoon, slowly fading into night. You’re sitting on the Terrace, drinking that second (or third) Spotted Cow, and you literally don’t have a care in the world. 

If this little scenario sounds at all your style, then boy, have Peter Bjorn and John done you a service on their new album, Gimme Some. This Swedish band’s sixth studio release is the epitome of an indie pop summer mix. Giving off Vampire Weekend kind of vibes, the album is just high quality enough to avoid the downward spiral into the momentarily popular music of summers past.

The album is almost universally upbeat, with spunky, pounding drum lines and guitar and bass melodies to match. Gimme Some kicks off with the band’s most powerful opening song yet, entitled “Tomorrow Has To Wait.” Its lyrics have a message that syncs perfectly with our July-at-twilight scenario: “It’s the time of your life/ So tomorrow has to wait/ Tonight’s the night/ And tomorrow is a million miles away.”

Gimme Some is a significant step in the right direction, released just two years after Peter Bjorn and John’s Living Things, which was almost universally recognized as a poor effort made by the band to follow up their most well-known, success, Writer’s Block, featuring the catchy, unforgettable – try as you might – “Young Folks” and its immortal whistle.

While it’s true that this album may tackle some strange topics, Gimme Some presents a unified record with moments of rocking guitar solos, as well as shorter songs to hook the listener back in if the longer ones start to get tedious.

For example, “May Seem Macabre” casts a glance at the subject of contemporary art in the tune’s refrain, which, needless to say, is not all that relatable on a large scale. However, “Black Book,” just two tracks later, more than makes up for this low point as the album’s only one minute and 35 second spitfire of a number.

On their website, Bjorn and John cite The Zombies as one of their major influences. The band’s affinity for 1960s British pop comes through on “Down Like Me,” which is downright reminiscent of the big guys (although featuring Swedish, rather than English, accents). While we’re in the mode of making comparisons, one can definitely feel the surf rock “California Girls” of The Beach Boys shine through at various points on the album, as well.

Gimme Some‘s low points – if they can even be called that – only stick out as such because they are the few songs on the album that might not beg to be blasted continuously, all summer long, from a boombox at a barbeque.

But this isn’t to say that these tracks aren’t still enjoyable. “(Don’t Let Them) Cool Off,” features repetitive and semi-irritating vocals and guitar rifts, but you almost get the feeling that if the tune were to somehow get stuck on repeat, you could totally get into it. You know, if you had to…

With something for everyone, and a half-pop, half-rock, all-heart kind of sound, Peter Bjorn and John have made a major comeback. As the album cover suggests, they get three enthusiastic thumbs up.

4 out 5 stars