German movie worth exploring

NorthFace
Although the story is tragic, the viewers are rewarded for their efforts by stunning cinematography and great acting across the board.[/media-credit]

For decades, people all over the world have been fascinated with climbing mountains. The higher and more dangerous, the better. However, with today’s modern equipment and technology, the hobby has nearly lost its drama and splendor. This former glory is eloquently captured in Germany’s “North Face,” a film illustrating the fight to reach the summit of what has been considered the Alps’ most treacherous rock face.

Based on a true story, “North Face” begins on the eve of World War II, when Nazi propaganda persuades two young German men with a passion for mountain climbing to attempt to reach the top of the Eiger in the Swiss Alps. This particular rock face has been haunted with tales of failure to complete the task and failure to make it back down the mountain alive.

At the base of the Eiger, the two young Germans, Toni Kurz and Andreas Hinterstoisser, reunite with childhood friend (and Toni’s former love), Luise Fellner, now a journalist hoping to capture the drama of the climb. Toni and Andreas begin their ascent, followed closely by an Austrian team, and seem to be on their way to victory, until unexpected conditions force them to retreat. The retreat, however, soon becomes the most dramatic element of the story.

“North Face” is tragic, yet, captivating. The events of the tale will take the audience on a powerfully emotional rollercoaster ride. The struggles of the climbers are blatant and extend to the emotions of the audience. When Toni and Andreas encounter the frozen body of their compatriot who failed to complete the same mission, the perilous reality of what they are attempting is magnified for themselves and for the audience.

In the film, even the most seemingly trivial losses and accomplishments are multiplied significantly. Reaching small heights are tremendous victories, but a seemingly small injury is catastrophic for the task at hand. Each little detail brings a new emotion into the mix.

This emotional ride never comes to a climax, however, because the story itself does not seem to have one. The narrative continues to build, but ends abruptly before it can reach a high point. Thus, the resolution seems sudden and slightly hard to comprehend. But then again, since “North Face” is based off of a true story, it is not the fault of the writers.

Unfortunately, the pacing of the story is a little uneven. The beginning of the story moves quite quickly, as it seems suddenly everyone is at the mountain, ready for the climb. On the other hand, the time on the mountain seems endless, and the audience is left wondering whether anyone will ever make it back to the base.

The events of the story, however, are undoubtedly suspenseful. Tragedy is always just around the corner, and death is literally just inches away. Nevertheless, the use of foreshadowing precedes events that are slightly predictable. Certain camera angles, pauses and periods of dramatic music alert the audience that something dreadful is approaching. In addition, the changing weather is an indicator that obstacles lay ahead.

On a more positive note, “North Face” is a visual treat. It was filmed beautifully and is worth watching simply for the gorgeous views of the Alps. Whether the mountains are illuminated by the sun or cloaked in snow and darkness, they are enchanting. In addition, the manner in which the filmmakers were able to depict the drama in treacherous conditions on a vertical mountain wall thousands of feet above the ground is a mystery, yet one audiences will be eager to explore.

The acting in the film is modest, but very well done and never over the top. Every single character is believable, and each helps to convey the tremendous sentiment contained in the movie. Although the film is spoken entirely in German, the actors are clearly convincing and actually make the story more comprehendible, even to non-German speakers.

While foreign films and subtitles may push potential audiences away due to unfamiliarity, “North Face” is worth the extra effort it may take to read the words coming across the screen. Its few flaws are outweighed by a compelling and epic story, stunning scenery and admirable acting. The powerful emotions conveyed in this film help the audience to develop a connection with the characters and the story, leaving them personally invested and completely enthralled.

4 stars out of 5.