Nick Jonas and ‘Who’?

To millions of little girls around the world, he’s known as the “shy” and “sensitive” one, and has been nicknamed “Mr. President.” But to the rest of us, he’s just another member of a cookie-cutter boy band. However, with the debut album from his side project, Nick Jonas and the Administration, the youngest Brother attempts to prove that there is something beyond that curly hair and pretty boy face.

I hate to break it to you, Jonas Brothers-haters, but Nick Jonas’ new solo album Who I Am isn’t terrible. Nick’s unique voice and willingness to branch out into other musical genres besides bubblegum boy band pop shows his vulnerability while also illuminating the possibilities that lie before him as a solo artist.

Out of the three brothers, Nick undeniably has the most distinctive voice, which in itself could have made or ruined this album. He isn’t afraid to jump from a melodic style to a daring falsetto in seconds. While there isn’t a ton of substance behind the lyrics, there’s clearly some potential in his abilities as a singer and songwriter (Jonas penned all of the songs). However, the fact that this is his first attempt at a solo album is apparent.

With songs that seem to fit in genres ranging from pop (“Who I Am”) to blues (“In the End”) to classic rock (“Conspiracy Theory”) to country (“Last Time Around”), Nick Jonas seems unable to find the genre where he fits best. His indecision results in a lack of continuity. This struggle is also evident in the fact that he seems to draw inspiration from John Mayer, Bruce Springsteen and Stevie Wonder — a group of artists that just don’t mix well. Nick is strongest on the slow, melodic pop songs like “Vesper’s Goodbye,” as well as those infused with a little rock.

Nick’s musical immaturity is also apparent when he stretches the range of his voice to the brink of cracking. Yes, he has a unique falsetto that adds interest to some tracks, but he needs to realize he is not Justin Timberlake, and he should utilize the full range of his voice, not just the high notes.

But one of the most refreshing things about Jonas is that he clearly loves what he does, and wants everyone to know it. This comes across especially well in the album’s single, “Who I Am,” with lyrics such as, “I’m losing my breath/ I’m losing my right to be wrong/ I’m frightened to death/ I’m frightened that I won’t be strong/ I want someone to love me/ For who I am/ I want someone to need me/ Is that so bad?” Overall, Jonas wants to be seen as an individual and prove his talent extends beyond the band that made him famous.

Who I Am is nonetheless a mature effort for the 17-year-old. The problem, however, is that he already has an established fan base. Teenybopper and preteen girls go crazy over Nick Jonas; it is unlikely that members of any other demographic will reach out and give the kid a chance. The fans he already does have may not fully appreciate the grown-up direction in which he is headed.

This first solo release by Nick Jonas and the Administration shows that the youngest Jonas Brother just may have some talent, even if he hasn’t quite figured out what to do with it. But if he settles on a genre and uses his voice within its limits, suck it up JoBro haters, because he may be here for a while.

2 1/2 stars out of 5.