Caillat to perform for 1st time in Madison

They perform in front of thousands, stressing every movement and reaching every note. To the audience, a singer’s performance is pristine and flawless, and the singer radiates confidence. Yet, at the beginning of her musical career, rising pop star Colbie Caillat felt just the opposite: stress and anxiety. Caillat can recall exactly how she felt for her first performance on the stage.

“Before: nervous and nauseous; during: nervous and nauseous; and after: relieved it was over,” Caillat admitted in an interview with The Badger Herald.

Caillat explained she felt butterflies in her stomach when it came to performing for most of her musical career.

“It wasn’t until this year I started to feel comfortable on stage, which is why my album is called Breakthrough,” Caillat said.

Although her nerves may have calmed with experience, Caillat formed a pre-performance ritual. She begins with a half-hour vocal warm-up followed by mellow breathing, body stretches and usually a cup of tea.

“I also pull out my guitar and play some songs, trying to remember that I started singing for fun in the first place,” Caillat said. “By rehearsing some songs beforehand, by the time I go out on stage, I feel comfortable and relaxed.”

The hit album Breakthrough includes the popular single, “Fallin’ For You,” which is likely to be performed by Caillat during her concert at the Barrymore Theatre this Friday. Performing her first concert in Madison, Caillat anticipates a great trip.

“I’ve heard it’s beautiful and that everyone [in Madison] is very nice.”

It is surprising Caillat was nervous at the emergence of her musical career, considering she has been involved with music for quite some time. Now 24 years old, Caillat dreamt of a singing career since age 11. To reach this dream she enrolled in piano, guitar and vocal lessons. Additionally, her parents suggested she have experience writing music to continue progressing toward her goals.

“So when I was 19, I learned four chords on the guitar and wrote my first song,” Caillat said.

When it comes to writing music, Caillat calls on her emotions for motivation.

“I guess I’m influenced by whatever I’m going through in life. With my latest song, I just fell in love with someone and then wrote about it,” Caillat explained.

Along with emotions, Caillat also had many musical influences, all of whom inspired her music.

“I’ve always been a fan of Bob Marley. His music makes me feel relaxed and I enjoy how his songs tell stories for others and I try to do the same with my music. I also like Lauryn Hill. I really enjoy her voice and it persuaded me to be a singer,” Caillat said.

Caillat is an aficionado of John Mayer as well, enjoying his melodies and lyrics. In fact, while touring during summer 2008, Caillat had an unforgettable encounter with Mayer on the last night of the tour.

“When I was performing my last song, John Mayer [unexpectedly] came out and sang with me. He had always had an influence on me and getting to sing with him was really special,” Caillat said.

Caillat would love another opportunity to perform with Mayer. In the meantime she will always cherish the honor of recording and performing with pop artist Jason Mraz. Additionally, one of Caillat’s most memorable performances was with Mraz this past summer.

“We were performing in Portugal and there were about 25,000 people in attendance. When we were performing ‘Lucky’ together, the audience sang back the words. I was blown away. It was so loud, Jason and I could barely hear ourselves,” Caillat said.

Off the stage, another memorable moment came in an unlikely location: a restaurant in Southern California where she dined every Sunday with her family. It was there Caillat remembers hearing her Billboard hit “Bubbly” on the radio for the first time.

“We were having brunch and the song started playing and I didn’t even notice it at first. Then my mom started dancing and a bunch of other people started singing,” Caillat recalled. “I was excited because I had been so busy, and this happens many times, I never get to experience actually hearing and listening to my music.”

Following its premiere on the radio, “Bubbly” led to a rise in fame for Caillat when the song held the No. 5 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 for seven weeks.

After the release of her album Breakthrough this past summer, Caillat has no definite plans for the future. One of her most recent projects includes her recording of “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” for the seventh volume of A Very Special Christmas for the Special Olympics. On that note, already an international performer, does the pop star have any dream performances in mind?

“Definitely the Grammys.”

Until then, Caillat is preparing for performances and a tour around the United States, including her performance in Madison.

Colbie Caillat will perform at the Barrymore Theatre on Friday, Dec. 4 at 8 p.m. For more information regarding the concert and tickets, visit www.barrymorelive.com.