Bubl

There are few contemporary musicians who can take a style from the past and make it “cool” again. Michael Bubl?, however, is one of them, and perhaps the best. In his newest album, Crazy Love, Bubl? combines covers of popular songs with a few of his own creation to arrange an album where his talent truly shines.

After more than two years since his last album, Crazy Love continues his tradition of taking jazz songs from the ’30s and ’40s, and a few rock songs from the ’60s, and reshaping them into a modern-day style all his own.

Influenced by artists like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Ella Fitzgerald, Bubl?’s powerful, smooth and clear vocals produce an album to be enjoyed by listeners of all ages. And though nearly all of Bubl?’s songs concentrate around the central theme of the different aspects of relationships, those on this album dig just a little bit deeper.

The overall sound on this album, in comparison to his earlier efforts, is more mature and just a little bit grittier (albeit still very romantic). Bubl? also takes some unprecedented risks, like covering the Eagles’ 1979 hit, “Heartache Tonight,” which works to bring more of a rock feel to the album, even adding an electric guitar to his traditional jazzy swing style.

Another risk Bubl?’s takes on “Cry Me a River,” a song originally written for Ella Fitzgerald in 1955. This particular track is much more fiery and sultry than many of Bubl?’s previous covers, with an introduction that sounds like it could be worked into the score for a James Bond film. “River” is very dramatic and a bit darker than fans are used to hearing, and is also one of the chief tracks demonstrating Bubl?’s growing maturity and confidence as an artist.

And these efforts pay off. Through tackling tracks a bit more complicated and daring, Bubl? presents an album with more depth and feeling than audiences have seen before. By taking these risks Bubl? shows his abilities extend far beyond a “present-day Sinatra.”

Not only does Bubl? succeed in singing the words of others, he clearly has a talent for songwriting, revealed in the two tracks he helped to pen for the album: “Haven’t Met You Yet” and “Hold On.” In the former, Bubl? shows his ability to create an upbeat, fun track bringing more of a pop feel to a set list grounded in the adult contemporary genre. In “Hold On,” Bubl?’s capacity to produce a romantic crooner’s ballad is solidified.

The addition of the original tracks brings a balance to the covers to create a very well-rounded album, with each song highlighting Bubl?’s amazing vocal talent and range.

For most artists, covering songs that have been done many times before is a great risk, and one that often doesn’t pay off. For Bubl?, however, this is what does. He takes these songs and truly makes them his own. His covers are often better than the originals, and he reworks them in a way that disguises them completely.

Ray Charles’ “Georgia On My Mind” has been reproduced by countless artists, but Bubl? is fearless in his pursuit to sing it in a way audiences have never heard it before. By expanding the range of notes and the clarity of the song itself, Bubl? transforms the classic into a song seemingly brand new.

Bubl? croons the songs in such a unique manner that it doesn’t matter if you’ve heard the song a hundred times; his talent makes you believe that you’re listening to the words for the very first time. As demonstrated in each track on Crazy Love, Bubl? has an incredible voice and ability all artists should envy.

4 stars out of 5.