‘Zombieland’ proves a destination worth visiting

Zombieland
Woody Harrelseon\’s character, Tallahassee, is more than your typical badass.[/media-credit]

Zombie films are few and far between. Sure, we had 2002’s “28 Days Later,” 2004’s “Shaun of the Dead” and 2007’s “28 Weeks Later.” But for those of us who aren’t quite into the influx of vampire-themed films and TV shows, it just isn’t enough.

However, with “Zombieland,” we get the first wide-release American attempt at the sparsely populated genre in quite some time. Despite a relatively one-dimensional plot, “Zombieland” is a great comedy that’s a must-see for fans of zombie films, or really anyone looking for straightforward comedic entertainment.

In a world where zombies have sprouted as a result of a disease related to mad cow disease, Jesse Eisenberg (“Adventureland”) stars as the neurotic, somewhat-nerdy college student Columbus. Always trying to evade the brain-craving zombies, Columbus hitches a ride with roaming badass Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson, “Seven Pounds”), and the two are eventually joined by sisters/con women Wichita and Little Rock, portrayed by Emma Stone (“Ghosts of Girlfriends Past”) and Abigail Breslin (“My Sister’s Keeper”), respectively. From there we follow this motley crew of survivors through the zombie-infested Southwest on the way to an amusement park in California.

Eisenberg fits in comfortably as the likable, quirky hero who awkwardly — but confidently — plods through the zombie wastelands in a style usually reserved for Michael Cera characters. The general feel of his character is far from revolutionary in terms of modern comedies, but regardless he plays the role believably and entertainingly.

Harrelson’s Tallahassee is a comedic treat that goes beyond the “cool, battle-hardened Texan” stock character, almost like an amped-up version of Harrelson’s character in “No Country For Old Men.” His no-nonsense attitude is broken up by flashes of glee or anger that make him entertainingly unpredictable.

Stone and Breslin as con women are legitimately aggravating in their ruthlessness, and continue to provide solid acting as the characters move fully into the main story. Stone competently plays the female lead role of Wichita, though not in a way that necessarily stands out. Breslin has already proven she can excel in adult-oriented comedies after 2006’s “Little Miss Sunshine,” and continues admirably as the preteen zombie killer Little Rock.

The comedy, for the most part, is actually pretty funny. There’s a good deal of slapstick humor, something that lends itself well to a zombie film. It’s not often you can have a comedy where a character is crushed by a carnival ride or bludgeoned to death by a banjo, but when the undead are involved, you can get away with this kind of over-the-top violence and still have it be funny.

Most of the humor comes from Tallahassee, both in terms of conversational jokes and his interactions with the zombies. Throughout the film he’s plagued by a quest to find and eat a Hostess Twinkie as a reminder of the innocence of the pre-zombie world. This sounds like a forced juxtaposition of something silly and the world of the undead, but it isn’t overdone and therefore works pretty well.

Plot-wise, there are some deus ex machina situations that kind of stick out. In one scene, Columbus and Tallahassee are exploring a small, decimated town where they come upon a brand new Hummer H2 with a military weapons cache in the back seat. This is explained away by Harrelson exclaiming “Thank God for rednecks!” It’s a little weak, but the atmosphere of the film doesn’t necessarily demand realism. Understanding that “Zombieland” is a comedic film that does not take itself seriously lets these minor holes give way to the entertaining action scenes and comedic dialogue.

Special mention needs to be made for some of the neat special effects. For example, Columbus carries a list of 30 or so rules which he obsessively follows throughout the film. Whenever a textbook example of one of these rules occurs, the said rule is cleverly superimposed into the scene. At one point in the movie, Tallahassee nominates himself for “Zombie Kill of the Week,” accompanied with a sparkling 3D emblem exploding onto the screen like an Xbox 360 achievement. It’s a minor detail that really helps to promote the fun atmosphere of the film.

“Zombieland” is, above all else, a fun movie. It’s not going to make you think or leave you with any burning questions, but it’s not meant to. Clever dialogue and entertaining action scenes replace deep character development and intricate plot lines, but they aren’t necessarily missed. “Zombieland” is simply meant to be pure entertainment, and that’s what comes through.

3 1/2 stars out of 5.