Eugene Mirman of ‘Conchords’ ‘flies’ to perform

This Sunday Eugene Mirman will open for Flight of the Conchords at the Overture Center.

Mirman is a stand-up comedian, a voice and cast member in a variety of television shows, including “Lucy, Daughter of the Devil” and “Home Movies,” and author of the comedic and contemporary advice book, “The Will to Whatevs.” He has also performed with Patton Oswalt, Maria Bamford and Brian Posehn on tour as “The Original Comedians of Comedy.”

The eclectic performer recently spoke with The Badger Herald regarding his role in “Flight of the Conchords” and how his performance might surprise those not familiar with his work.

Mirman performs primarily in the Brooklyn area when not on tour or acting. He discussed how his stand-up routine this Sunday would differ from his act in New York.

“Most of the stuff I do that works best works with everyone. Sometimes, maybe with older crowds, I have to take a little step back so I won’t break them in half emotionally,” Mirman said.

The show marks Mirman’s second ?performance in Wisconsin’s capital in less than a month.

“I’ve performed in Madison a few times, and it’s been super-fun,” Mirman said.

In conjunction with his book and his stand-up, Mirman has a number of videos styled in an absurdist manner. These videos exaggerate clich?s associated with pop culture, like secret agents and sexperts. One of Mirman’s videos, entitled “Punk,” features the performer in a cutoff T-shirt with a zipper stretching across the chest. The video ends with nearly 40 seconds of the comedian weeping.

“That idea came from a time when I was shopping in Los Angeles, and I saw this shirt and I thought, ‘This is the stupidest shirt I have ever seen. I have to buy it,'” Mirman said.

Mirman also commented on his heavy Internet presence.

“Whether it is YouTube, Facebook … Twitter, or MySpace, the Internet is sort of this whole interactive world that lets you post things to share your work and expand your reach,” Mirman said.

Acting as if his flaws are what make him great, the comedian often give himself more credit than is due to create a humorous paradox. This is evident in his hilarious attack on Delta Airlines, which involves a demand from the airline to pay a penalty of “$10,000 or a controlling share in the company, whichever is greater.” The bit evolved from a prolonged misplacement of luggage, and resulted in a settlement to Mirman that was spent on postcards addressed to Delta, which are distributed at shows for free. Mirman’s style is evident in his routine, but it may be surprising to those that only know him as the landlord who is desperate for friends in “Flight of the Conchords.”

“The stuff I do is vaguely sort of oddball; I don’t insist that all of my lines make me out to be awesome. … The way I have such a range [as a performer] is through years of meditation,” Mirman said.

Eugene Mirman opens for Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement of Flight of the Conchords this Sunday at 7:30 pm at the Overture Center. Tickets are $40.?