Cyrus goes ‘Back to Tennessee’

“Achy Breaky Heart,” the No. 1 single in 1992, made Billy Ray Cyrus famous and has been his most successful song to date.

Fast forward to 2009, however, and this song has had some mixed reviews.

“Achy Breaky Heart” was rated N?. 2 on VH1’s 50 Most Awesomely Bad Songs but was given the 23rd slot on CMT’s Top 100 Greatest Videos. Cyrus’ new album, Back To Tennessee, will also receive some mixed reviews in the near future for its heavy country style mixed with pop-rock songs and a duet with his daughter.

Because of Cyrus’ fame, his children have been extremely successful. Miley Cyrus has a duet with her father on Back to Tennessee titled “Butterfly Fly Away.” The song will also be featured in “Hannah Montana: The Movie,” which both Miley and her father will be in. “Butterfly Fly Away” is sure to get more attention when the movie comes out.

Cyrus’ son, Trace Cyrus (of Metro Station), also has a cameo in “Somebody Said a Prayer.” This song is a nice breather from the other hard-core country songs, with a piano and strings. Cyrus’ voice softens and then escalates to create an emotional heartfelt song with feeling about a distraught family after a death. “Somebody said a prayer/ Somebody had some faith/ Somebody finally hit their knees and asked for help, for Heaven’s sake/ Somebody finally found someone who really cares/ Somebody said a prayer.”

Back To Tennessee is not a smash hit album as a whole. There are a few good songs worth remembering such as “Somebody Said a Prayer” and “Real Gone.” The first and third singles that were chosen are by far the best songs on the album. The second single, “Back to Tennessee,” has the same sort of feeling as Faith Hill’s “Mississippi Girl” and is easily forgettable. However, “Love is a Lesson” as well as “Real Gone” break up the otherwise unexciting album. The difference? A rock feel. The rest of the album, on the other hand, is very typical country — praising America in “Country as Country Can Be” with lyrics like, “And I’m just as country as country can be/ Red, white and blue are the colors I bleed,” or wishing to go back to family and roots in “Back to Tennessee,” which will also be featured in his daughter’s upcoming movie.

The other songs are simply not as exciting, and there is nothing to differentiate Cyrus from any other country singer out there. He sounds just like any other one you may hear on CMT — he has the same vocals and instrumentals as many other famous and successful country singers.

Perhaps Cyrus should stick to his more successful acting career than his semi-successful singing career. While he became famous for “Achy Breaky Heart,” the world may not react the same way once he goes Back to Tennessee with his new album.

3 stars out of 5.