Restaurant Week dishes prime romantic dining

Priming a date for Valentine’s Day can be tough. There are preliminary, semi-congenial hangout sessions that must exist if one hopes to have any chance of getting lucky on the 14th. Having a serious relationship is a plus, and a single quality date can take a couple a long way in terms of not having some kind of super awkward separation at 10 o’clock ending in the female party consuming one-and-a-half pints of chocolate ice cream and complaining about the lack of quality men in this town, while the male party does the same (replacing ice cream with whiskey and porn).

Fear not, because romantically priming a date for Valentine’s Day can be managed during this time of economic hardship with the help of Madison Restaurant Week, when Madison’s higher-end dining options will be vastly more accessible to the public. The event is sponsored by Madison Magazine with help from Madison Originals, a coalition of local, independent restaurants dedicated to the support of franchise-free culinary expansion in Madison. Tiffany Thom, marketing director for Madison Magazine, noted how Madison Originals helped to make the first restaurant week successful and how the group continues to bolster the pursuit of local taste.

“Madison Magazine is always looking to support the local dining community, and Madison Originals helped get the word out to local restaurants who might have been resistant to a new idea initially,” Thom said.

Each restaurant that participates in Restaurant Week offers a special menu designed to offer patrons a wholesome three-course meal for a reasonable $25 cover charge, with tips and beverages not included. This is perfect for a quality date with a potential or an already special someone or a fairly cheap night out with some food-loving friends.

With 31 restaurants participating in Madison and in surrounding areas, there is a veritable cornucopia of good eats for anyone that wants to enjoy a refined dining experience without spending so much that their following dining experiences consist of refined sugar packets desperately stolen from a Union Deli between classes.

“Restaurant week is for anyone that appreciates good local food, and for everyone that enjoys a great night out,” Thom said.

There is, however, a danger in being able to choose only a limited number of restaurants to patronize, that danger being an inability to try it all. The establishments involved are offering appetizers, entrees and desserts that are well worth the weeklong price, but one look at the specific menu items offered indicate some locations put forth a special effort while other, more generic specials (like poached/pan-seared/butter saut?ed scallops offered at multiple restaurants) may disappoint rather than enthrall. Though all the participating restaurants should be praised for the creation of special menus that are affordable and profitable to serve, extra commendation should be given to any chef who can create a unique menu using quality ingredients that highlight the best qualities of their restaurant. Though this is a special week during which many will go out and eat at places they may not normally be able to afford, Restaurant Week should also be seen as an opportunity to gain notoriety and attract new customers.

Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar, for example, is offering what appears to be a decadent bacon wrapped, horseradish crusted filet mignon, while the Caf? Continental offers a 10 oz. top sirloin with a bevy of accoutrements available like a B?arnaise sauce or a brandy peppercorn cream sauce or even topping the cut with Portabello and Cremini mushrooms (these are about half the options available). Brocach Irish Pub is also offering emphatically Irish specials like Guinness Irish Stew and Bangers and Mash (big sausages with mashed potatoes). Other quality establishments participating include Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Quivey’s Grove Stable House and Stone Grill, Mariner’s Inn, Tutto Pasta on State, Eldorado’s, Johnny Delmonico’s, Le Chardonnay, Harvest and L’Etoile.

For poor college students and starving artists/struggling magicians, the Cabana Room, Capitol Chophouse, Inka Heritage, The Dardanelles, Quivey’s Grove Stable Grill, Ocean Grill and Liliana’s Restaurant are also offering $15, three-course lunch specials during the day. While the $25 plates at all the other restaurants are worth the potential dabbling in extravagance, the lunch specials offered should be ventured by anyone curious about Madison’s higher end dining options.

Madison Restaurant week begins Jan. 25 and runs until Jan. 30.