Endorsement by musicians: tricky

Most politicians’ brushes with popular music are, frankly, embarrassing.

John McCain’s endorsement by Puerto Rican rapper Daddy Yankee was so forced you could almost hear McCain thinking, “What the hell am I doing here?” On the other side, I’m not sure what is worse: the fact that Barack Obama could have “Pussy Poppin'” by Ludacris or that I can imagine him bopping his head to Sheryl Crow’s “Soak Up the Sun.” Oh well. It could be worse.

But while the normally out-of-their-league politicians make fools out of themselves by crowding in on the younger generation’s music, musicians must tread the same line when they attempt to endorse any sort of political view.

Many groups go a little too far in either altering their message or engaging in political saber rattling to be taken seriously as political supporters or musicians.

And the latter is far more dangerous. Musicians have a bit of credibility with their dyed-in-the-wool fans. To them, they speak the truth that the media, government, peers and elders refuse to say. To those who’ve spun enough lyrics to make their die-hards think “they were speaking directly to me,” the artist has a social cache he can expend in whatever way he or she wishes.

But while most fans could probably accept these leaps of political faith from politically vocal (and occasionally annoying) U2, Pearl Jam and — on the other side — Ted Nugent, those bands more accustomed to, well, just making music, can alienate their fan base with a simple “Fuck Bush”.

So how does an artists or music group make a statement without making a scene?

First off, know your standing on the musical ladder.

While the “Yes We Can” Obama-love fest would seem like political pandering for respected musicians, will.i.am. is a member of Black Eyed Peas. Anything without mention of “humps” is a step-up.

Even if you don’t agree with the ruling party, time your statements accordingly.

During a concert in Berlin, Radiohead singer Thom Yorke launched into Street Spirit with the opening statement “Here’s hoping George Bush doesn’t declare World War III.” It’s a ham-handed diss of the administration at any point in time. But when you’re performing on Sept. 11, 2001, it may not be the most pressing concern of the day.

If you’re going to play a concert for a candidate, do it well, damn it.

Take Connor Oberst, for example. While he’s played in support of Kerry last year and Obama this year, a whiny drunk isn’t exactly the best advocate for change. At a recent appearance in Omaha with Bruce Springsteen (who, for the record, can do whatever the hell he wants), Oberst took to the stage with Springsteen and mumbled the lines to “Thunder Road” while kneeling at the front of the stage. While it’s true that many Bright Eyes concerts may end in inebriated disaster, it doesn’t necessarily inspire young voters. Leave it at home.

When including political statements in songs, follow the three Ss: Subtle, Satirical or Silent.

Take Wilco, for example. This Saturday, the Chicago alt-country pop rockers came up to Madison to perform a special set in support of Obama’s candidacy. They admitted they don’t write a lot of political songs, but were happy to indulge in the “Obamania” with “Wilco the Song,” which was titled in homage (or rather, in mockery) of “Joe the Plumber.” But even then, the song has no real reference to Obama, just vague mentions of current American hardships while throwing in some really catchy guitar riffs.

Otherwise, just make the song a joke. Randy Newman might be a ridiculed on Family Guy, but “political scientist” is a timeless skewing of American sensibilities.

Maybe crowds are more accepting of rogue political commentary with Obama being all the rage, but when the election’s over, they’ll be no room for a “Let Impeach the President” style call to arms.

Jason Smathers ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in history and journalism.