Band doesn’t ‘panic,’ keeps cool

Classic jam band Widespread Panic evolves with Free Somehow, their 10th studio album in 22 years. The album is darker than much of the band?s previous work, as many songs were inspired by tragedies such as the Virginia Tech shootings and the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Widespread Panic still manages to retain a few of their experimental tendencies and classic rock twang, but they have certainly added an edge to their sound.

Free Somehow begins with the rowdy ?Boom Boom Boom,? but quickly becomes darker with ?Walk On The Flood,? an angry track written in the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings. Many of the album?s songs are dark and moody in this way and show the band?s willingness to question the nature of society and government (sample lyric: ?We elected our leaders/ So we?ve been told?).

?Angels On High,? on the other hand, starts with a driving melody over a walking bass line and features a jazzy sound that reappears on several tracks. The album slows down significantly with songs like the melancholy ?Dark Day Program? and ?Free Somehow.?

But Panic picks up the pace with ?Flicker,? a jazzy but heavy rock song that begins with disjointed percussion. The band repeats this nuance on ?Her Dance Needs No Body,? the longest song on the album, with its featured psychedelic interlude, as does ?Already Fried.? The album?s sound comes full circle, though, ending with two more upbeat songs, as keyboardist John Hermann tickles the keys with an insistent fervor on the album?s final track, ?Up All Night.?

Free Somehow is the band?s first record to feature Jimmy Herring on guitar. Herring?s long, wailing solos on almost every song are really what hold these tracks together. In addition, vocalist John Bell shows a wide range of ability, adding high-pitched shrieks and low growls to his raspy croon.

Fans of Panic?s live shows may not fall in love instantly with Free Somehow; most of these songs have never been performed live, and they are in need of some crowd feedback. This material reflects the band?s tension and boredom at being cooped up in the recording studio without testing these songs out on live crowds. Additionally, many tracks push six minutes without any real transformation. Widespread Panic has always been a live band first, and, without the experimentation that comes with a live show, these songs just sound tired.

Nonetheless, the album shows the band?s socially concious nature; they seem both distressed and inspired by the state of the world ? maybe they are trying to break free of their reputation as simply a live jam band. With Free Somehow, Widespread Panic achieves a more melancholy, contemplative sound.

3 stars out of 5