Early Christmas with choirs

With the introduction of "Joy to the World" this past weekend, the Madison Symphony Orchestra and a small collection of local choruses announced through traditional and nontraditional Christmas music alike that the festive season 'tis upon us. Maestro John DeMain took lead of the orchestra for MSO's annual Christmas Spectacular, which featured guest tenor Carl Tanner, a well-known world opera singer, as well as several choirs, including the Madison Symphony Chorus, Madison Youth Choirs and the Mt. Zion Gospel Choir. By the end of the night the Overture Center's Overture Hall was bursting at the seams with heartfelt songs of the choirs, the symphony and the audience, who was invited to sing along with the last few songs.

The selection of Christmas tunes for the Spectacular varied widely, with such classics as "Jingle Bells" interspersed with much less familiar holiday music, like Franz Schubert's "A Choir of a Thousand Cherubs." Mr. Tanner, whose operatic voice made simple songs like "O Holy Night" occasionally difficult to understand, was clearly more comfortable with the Italian songs, which better lent themselves to his deep, booming tones.
A surprisingly delightful switch came halfway through the first segment of the program when a portion of the Madison Youth Choir — composed of all young boys — sang a rendition of "Star of Bethlehem." The song demonstrated an array of beautiful voices complemented by an unusually dynamic melody provided by the Symphony Orchestra.

Another group of Madison Youth Choir singers, seemingly made up of high school-aged kids, also had a pleasing vocal mixture, though their younger counterparts may have somewhat overshadowed them. Of special note for this group was a playfully musical rendition of "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" that would make even the Ghost of Christmas Past nostalgic for the classic tale.

But such vocals are not always a prerequisite for Christmas music. The Symphony Orchestra alone performed "Sleigh Ride," effectively solidifying the argument that a group of instruments played by the right musicians can have just as much life and character as a group of professional singers. This wordless piece even inspired laughter and chuckles from the audience when a French horn was used to mimic the whinnying of a horse.
The event's shining star, however, came in the form of the Mt. Zion Gospel Choir. Maestro DeMain even forewarned the audience, saying the group had a tendency to "raise the roof." This was possibly an understatement. From the moment the choir members began swaying and clapping their hands it was clear they really knew what Christmas was all about. The Mt. Zion Gospel Choir was so captivating that by the end of its performance Maestro DeMain himself could not refrain from dancing and clapping his hands atop his conducting stand. Combining Gospel music, Christmas carols, R&B influences and jazzy undertones, the Gospel Choir demonstrated a livelihood rarely associated with carols. Never has "The First Noel" sounded so soulful.

Finally, in the tradition of such Christmas musical performances, the audience members were invited to don their Santa hats and perform a sing-along with the symphony and the choirs. MSO's Christmas Spectacular was the perfect start to a long and festive season. For those who missed it, it is advised they make the performance an annual holiday tradition starting next winter.