Contemporary art museum jewel of Overture Center

Located just a few blocks west of the Capitol on State Street, the Overture Center for the Arts’ presence is undeniable; this sculpted steel and glass structure, designed by world-renowned architect Cesar Pelli, occupies an entire block of State Street. Catching the sun’s rays in two stories of windows, the Overture Center shines as a beacon of art and culture for all of Madison, including local and Broadway theaters, and concerts featuring everything from Madison Symphony Orchestra to African drumming. Although its exterior is a work of art in itself, the Overture Center’s true masterpieces are found at the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art. Housed within the Overture Center’s massive walls, the museum, which has become the permanent home for works from distinguished artists Frida Kahlo and John Steuart Curry, is the heartbeat of the Overture Center, offering unique programs and exhibitions for the adventurous art enthusiast. "First Fridays at MMoCA" allows museumgoers the opportunity to experience art in new ways each month. At the Aug. 3 kickoff of "Jess: To and From the Printed Page," MMoCA held a “Dog Days of Summer or Cat on a Gar-tin Roof" event. Guests enjoyed some bluegrass courtesy of the aptly titled Blueheels and reveled in the sights of downtown Madison from the museum’s rooftop sculpture garden. First Fridays are free of charge for MMoCA members and cost $5 for non-members, although there are always ways to get in free, such as bringing in a pet photo, fitting each event’s theme. For more information about First Fridays’ themes and membership information, visit mmoca.org.