Underrated 1980s films still hilarious

Having not been alive for the majority of the 1980s, I realize it is probably a bit inappropriate for me to definitively generalize the decade as a whole. Allow me to say this: Allegedly, the 1980s really sucked. When it comes to movies, the ideals that guided America during a period of unprecedented growth from 1980-89 — personal excess, greed and copious cocaine use — also drove the film industry.

In the 1980s, Hollywood really seemed to love movies about characters "on the edge." I encourage everybody to go on YouTube and look at trailers from the movies if you don't believe me. Every preview begins with Don LaFontaine screaming "He's a ______ on the edge!"

This being said, what most people forget about the 1980s is that for all the dopey movies about cops on the edge, day-traders on the edge and bartenders on the edge, the decade produced a slew of eccentric, medium-sized comedies that have managed to outlast any of the decade's action extravaganzas. They all have a kind of bizarre, wiseass countenance to them that reminds you of one of the biggest problems with the modern movie industry: We've lost our comedy staples. Look at the upcoming movie "Knocked Up." Pretty much everybody I know is as excited for this movie as anything over the past five years. But back in the 1980s, we were getting movies like "Knocked Up" three or four times a year. In an effort to try and get you prepped for "Knocked Up," I have put together my list of the underrated goofball comedies from the 1980s.

"Broadcast News"

Not necessarily underrated and not necessarily a goofy comedy, but I believe this is legitimately one of the three or four best movies of the 1980s. No huge laughs (with the possible exception of Albert Brooks' ill-fated stint anchoring the weekend news). I watched it on TV last week for the first time in a few years, and it just killed me all over again.

I realize a lot of it depends on how you view Albert Brooks (I think he's one of the three or four funniest people alive, but I recognize he makes a lot of people physically uncomfortable.) I also recently realized that I probably quote this movie more than any other movie in history — specifically Brooks' line about his chronic sweating: "People were phoning in. They thought I was having a heart attack."

"The Burbs"

Before Tom Hanks became, well, Tom Hanks, he starred in a series of kooky comedies in the 1980s — "Bachelor Party," "The Man With One Red Shoe," "Volunteers," — and this may be his best. These are the comedies we don't get enough of nowadays: Dark, obsessive, stories about unlikeable people taking things to logical extremes. Also, bonus points for the fact it features Corey Feldman in a key supporting role.

"Scrooged"

Bill Murray's take on "A Christmas Carol" has never taken off as a Christmas classic, probably in part because Murray's Scrooge surrogate Frank Cross is a boozy, abrasive prick. And of course, it wouldn't work if he acted differently. Murray's entire persona is built on being the smuggest guy in the room. On a side note, the most embarrassing moment in my dating life revolved around a showing of "Scrooged." During my junior year of high school, I took a girl I liked to see a revival of this movie. The place was packed, but the audience was absolutely dead, and I was the only one laughing — which, of course, only made me laugh more, since I was consciously aware of the fact that I was the only one deriving enjoyment from the sight of Bill Murray making fun of a little deaf boy. Probably the most awkward two hours of my life. Needless to say, the girl and I decided to see other people.

"Volunteers"

Another Tom Hanks movie, this one with the added bonus of featuring John Candy. Watching it now is a jarring experience. We've become so accustomed to seeing Hanks playing decent guys, it's a bit odd to see him play a wiseass child of privilege who joins the Peace Corps to escape loan sharks.

"Night Shift"

Can somebody tell me why Michael Keaton isn't one of the biggest stars in the world? Here, the unlikely pairing of Keaton with Henry Winkler (along with Ron Howard) is an absolute goldmine.

"Funny Farm"

I'm one of the few people on earth who still thinks Chevy Chase is hilarious, and this one is probably his most underrated movie, at least from the perspective of a Chevy devotee. Like all his movies, this one depends on how far you are willing to go to watch somebody get annoyed out of his mind.

Honorable Mentions: "Fletch," "Clue," "Betsy's Wedding," "Three Amigos," and "Stripes."

Ray Gustini is a sophomore majoring in English and journalism. What are your thoughts on Chevy Chase? Let Ray know. Send your questions and comments to [email protected].