Layers, accessories solve winter woes

There are three major things I've learned about Wisconsin since I arrived here last fall — the stories about the cheese, the workload at UW and the harsh winters are all true. The latter I've learned to be more than true these past few days.

In fact, to be honest, I don't know how anyone could ever get used to this cold. I've also learned that if Accuweather.com describes the temperature outside as "frigid" and "bitterly cold," I should assume it's probably not going to be a good day.

As a result of the dropping degrees, style suffers. As anyone can see, bundling up in 20 layers with a cable-knit scarf covering half of your head, a hood covering the other half and big clunky boots on your feet isn't the most attractive attire.

So what can be done? The simple answer would be to not care — but for fashionable individuals, that's not really an option. I think it best to work from the inside out. So let's start with long underwear — it is not comfortable by any means, but it really does the trick. For those of you who don't want to feel that bulky, opaque leggings are a great alternative (they're thinner, but they still keep your legs warm). If you're a sweats person, try putting on a pair of leggings over your long underwear with legwarmers before you put on your sweats. If you're a die-hard jeans fan like I am, I would stick to just the legwarmers under your jeans.

For the top, the key is to wear a lot of thin layers. I touched on this at the beginning of the school year when temperatures started to drop — but due to the recent negative numbers, I thought it best to bring it up once more. If you're looking to stay very warm, try a tank top with a long-sleeve turtleneck over that, and a T-shirt over that. Followed by a sweatshirt or sweater and finally a long down coat. If you know you're going to be overheated the second you walk into your lecture hall, try replacing the turtleneck with a simple long sleeve.

Now comes the fun and stylish part — accessories! Things I love this season are knit arm warmers, embellished scarves (like ones covered in sequins), leather gloves in baby colors (like baby pink and baby blue), Burberry earmuffs and oversized book bags. OK, so a book bag isn't going to help you stay warm, but it does help hold all the layers you have to peel off when you walk inside.

I also recommend a good pair of sturdy, warm boots — obviously. Also, if earmuffs aren't you're thing, Sherpa hats (the ones with the furry flaps) are always a smart alternative. Or if Burberry is just far too expensive, there are plenty of cute earmuffs out there right now — I'm just partial to the pastel-colored plaid.

Whatever your approach to staying warm is, make sure you're as bundled as you can be. Temperatures this cold can have you getting frostbite after only 10 minutes of being outside with any skin exposed. The best advice I can give is to stay indoors, warm and happy; but since classes make that difficult to do, at least dress in layers.

Also, remember that fashionable pieces are the accessories, so plan accordingly. Temperatures might be in the negatives and "bitterly cold," but knowing how to dress in these hot fashions is sure to keep you warm! (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

Sydney Burdick is a freshman intending to major in fashion journalism. Are you looking for a way to spice up your current Eskimo-like attire? Direct your fashion questions or comments to [email protected].