Style requires ‘cutting’ edge

For those of you who read magazines as religiously as I do, you have probably picked up a hefty stack throughout the past month. In particular, the newest issue of Marie Claire highlights exactly how to flaunt a little skin — tastefully of course — in the article "Spring's girliest styles bare our shoulders, back, and feet like never before." So while the sparkling snow outside might make this article a bit like California dreamin', a little daydreaming never hurt anyone. In fact, looking forward to the aesthetically cut tops/dresses to come this spring might be just what we need to get through the winter.

The way clothing is cut can make or break a garment. For myself in particular, this has always been a deciding factor before I approach the register. It is a huge factor to take into consideration when it comes to making clothing as well. While I would love to be able to explain the difference between a well-cut garment and a poorly cut one, it is going to be difficult to do through text, so bear with me. Please trust that I would not devote an entire column to this if I didn't think it extremely important.

I always enjoyed the fashions designed by last season's "Project Runway" runner-up Ulrike Herzner (or Uli as she was known on the show) because she always paid close attention to the cut of her dresses. I would have to say my favorite was one of her final pieces, a backless chiffon dress with a gold chain that hung from the nape of the neck down the back with a piece of coral dangling at the end. While the dress was already fun, whimsical and carefree, the cut made it sexy.

A great garment has the ability to highlight and accentuate the sexiest parts of a woman; which in my personal opinion are her neck, back and shoulders. If created correctly, it will become as memorable as it is beautiful. That also calls to mind a specific dress Nelly Furtado wore in her "Say it Right" music video. It was simple, black and strapless, but showed just enough skin to be classy and gorgeous. Like great cinematography, which captures each frame of video seamlessly, well-cut clothing has the ability to follow the contours of a woman's body in the same fluid motion.

The fit of a garment isn't entirely the designer's responsibility, however. A woman needs to learn how to shop for clothing that fits her. Just as one learns about personal style, she should also become aware of clothing that flatters her own body. If you've ever tried on a dress that hit you at a weird point mid-thigh or just past your knees, you know exactly what I'm talking about. While some cuts work on everyone, most only work well on certain body types. Currently in style are simple, A-line 1960s mod mini dresses. These dresses, in particular, are one of the few that look good on almost everybody because of the short A-line hem and boxy silhouette.

Speaking of which, while the "one strap" style has solidified a spot in the world of fashion, it has never been a favorite of mine. While the style is definitely cut in a more interesting fashion than the standard tank top, I have always found the look unflattering and stiff. Maybe the one-strap toga look worked well in Roman battle, but I unfortunately cannot say the same for 21st-century style. I am, however, a fan of high-waist, boxy shorts. While they are cut lower than your average pair of shorts, they are higher than Bermudas, giving them a perfect length (like the A-line mini) for just about anyone.

The right cut can also add character. A sweetheart bodice — like those found on 1950s one-piece bathing suits, for example — will project an entirely different look than a dress with a square neckline just as a floor-length gown looks completely opposite from a mini cut on the bias — even though all that has changed is the hemline.

Dresses and tops aren't the only examples of where cuts can make a huge difference: The cut of shoes can also be crucial. For those of you who haven't ever heard of "toe-cleavage," it's a term used to describe low-cut shoes — and it's fabulous. Also, a shoe without an ankle strap is best because ankle straps tend to cut off the natural line from the leg down to the tip of the toe. Few designers have the ability to make a shoe with a flattering cut. In fact, the only designer with true artistic talent that comes to mind is the one and only Manolo Blahnik (though every once in awhile another designer does it right).

So despite the fact that those shoulders and toes are completely covered in clothing, and for the time being we're stuck simply daydreaming, please don't be discouraged. Soon enough we'll once again be able to flaunt our most beautiful assets in elegantly cut clothing. Spring will be here before we know it — but until then, just keep California dreamin'.

Sydney Burdick is a freshman intending to major in fashion journalism. Direct your fashion questions or comments to [email protected].