Consoles make group games fun

Well my friends, it is time to reinvent party playtime to suit a more technologically able crowd. All you need to ask yourself is, "Do you want to be a dance mat diva, a 'Guitar Hero,' or Wii-mote maestro?" So put down the red plastic cup, toss your last ping-pong ball, and fire up the consoles — it's game time.

PlayStation 2 is a great party console since it is host to a variety of highly interactive titles that gamers of any skill level can pick up and enjoy. It is famous for porting over arcade favorites into living rooms everywhere, offering a gaming experience sans quarters and the stares of onlookers as you make a fool of yourself.

First and foremost is of course the classic "Dance Dance Revolution," or DDR for short. The game itself is simple. Standing on top of a platform, follow onscreen cues, mash up, down, left and right arrows with your feet, and dance to the beat. The music is a mix of various rock, techno, and even some outlandish Japanese pop tracks — each has its own unique appeal. Let's just say that rocking out to recognizable tracks like "Oops! … I Did It Again" from the former Mrs. K-Fed only makes the experience even more of a guilty pleasure.

Alas, playing is clearly easier said than done. Following the arrows as they scroll can be difficult, depending on the tempo or skill level. Beginners always tend to look like fish out of water, flailing about like they are on fire. However, veterans who can keep a beat and move fluidly about the dance mats are a sight to see. As adept as they may be, however, I doubt DDR gamers will be featured on "Dancing with the Stars" anytime soon. In the end the formula is simple: Challenge friends to a dance-off after a couple drinks, and then try workout mode the next morning to burn the regrettable calories.

The main downfall of DDR is the price it takes to get started. Games generally cost around $30 to $40, and a quality game mat can be two to three times that price. Since you will likely need two pads, you are looking at a start-up cost of more than 100 bones, not to mention the console. In the end the fun far outweighs the cost, and with proper care, dance mats last for quite some time.

Continuing in the musical genre is a newer title that is becoming increasingly popular, "Guitar Hero." Armed with a plastic guitar, players must simultaneously hit the appropriate color combination of frets and strum simulated strings to play chords. Getting used to the guitar can be tricky, but you're sure to be a virtuoso in no time at all. Just keep the beat, and sing along, think of the karaoke as a freebie.

The music list across both the first and second installments of the title ranges from artists like Nirvana and The Rolling Stones, to Black Sabbath and Joan Jett & The Blackhearts. So if you think you have what it takes to be the "Iron Man," pick up that axe and live out your rock star fantasies; it may be as close as you will ever get to making it big.

Packaged with a single wired guitar controller and game, "Guitar Hero" is priced at $80. Additional guitars are $40 for the wired model, or $60 for the wireless version. Again, the initial investment is always a pain, but this is one title that is really addicting and a sure crowd pleaser.

Over in the land of Nintendo, we have the fantastically user-friendly Wii console, which begs for attention with a variety of Wii-mote mischief. Yes, "Wii Sports" takes virtual tennis and bowling to a new level, and cute little monkeys in plastic balls piloting spacecraft is most unforgettable, but Nintendo has now crossed the line and gone completely insane. "Wario Ware: Smooth Moves" continues the series claim to fame, micro-games that take merely five seconds to play, by utilizing the Wii-mote in highly unexpected ways.

The game breaks down the mini games into categories called forms. Each has a special way of positioning the Wii-mote for maximum absurdity. For instance, the "Elephant" form requires players to stick the Wii-mote to their nose to simulate a trunk, remove a piece of fruit from a tree, and place it in a basket. My personal favorite form is called "The Big Cheese," where players put their hands on their hips and do such things as flap their arms to fly or hula hoop their way to fame. Seeing your friends act out all the motions, you only begin to wonder how ridiculous you looked, but can't help but want to play more.

"Wario Ware" is a short, single-player game, taking just over an hour to complete. What makes it worth the $50 price tag are the re-playability and simplistic multi-player modes. Even playing the single-player game with a group is feasible since a single round of play only takes a couple of minutes, and the next person can try to beat the high score. Multi-player does falter a little bit since players cannot all play simultaneously, but instead pass the Wii-mote in a turn-based fashion. However, this style does have its perks, since one mode allows for up to 12 players to go head-to-head in elimination.

"Wario Ware" has the cheapest of the three set-ups, as just the software is required for a full gaming experience. Since only one Wii-mote is required, there is no need to go out and stock up.

In the end, partygoers must decide for themselves how they will entertain themselves on a Friday night, at the same old house party. I am merely challenging those whose major athletic accomplishment is winning a beer pong tournament or flip-cup relay to think outside the brew. These three titles are indeed suitable for those of any age and certainly any BAC.

Justin Voss is a sophomore majoring in Japanese. E-mail him about your everyday gaming needs at [email protected].