Comedic ‘friends’ score big laughs

Millions of people wake up every morning to the sound of irreverent sketches and delightfully lowbrow comedy with "The Bob & Tom Radio Show," heard on WIBA FM 101.5 in the Madison area. With the sound of Bob, Tom and company laughing in the background of every joke, skit and song is a familiar trademark of the show.

Leaving Bob and Tom's laugh-filled backing behind, five "Bob & Tom" regulars brought their routines to Madison's Orpheum Theatre Friday night on another stop in "The Friends of the Bob & Tom Radio Show Comedy Tour." Each proved his own talent off the radio and on stage in front of a live audience.

The show opened with voice talent and impressionist Mike MacRae. His description of the college class taught by Indiana Jones — students taking the class knowing professor Jones would be called away on a mission, canceling six weeks of class every semester — was his standout bit.

He wowed the crowd with a spot-on impression of Harrison Ford, an impression one does not often hear. Somewhat more common, but still impressive, he did a dialogue between Ford and his "Indiana Jones" father Sean Connery. To top off the bit, he proposed adding Vince Vaughn to the upcoming "Indiana Jones" sequel, performing a perfect parody of Vaughn's fast-talking persona.

Next up was Greg Warren, who described what he labeled "one star" people, the kind who would stay at a one star hotel. These are the type of people, he said, who begin and end distasteful statements with "I'm just saying." This became an amusing theme throughout his time on stage.

Then Auggie Smith performed, riling up the crowd with his acute delivery coupled with clever political statements. He criticized Wisconsin's marriage amendment, pointing out that the state banned a practice that did not even exist in the first place. He comically compared the amendment to banning monkeys eating children.

He also commented on Madison's smoking ban, stating that if a person does not want to be around smoke, then she should not go out to the bars. He amusingly associated the law with his distaste for Bed Bath & Beyond. He does not like Bed Bath & Beyond, and therefore, does not go to Bed Bath & Beyond.

Following Smith, musical comedian Henry Phillips, who some may recognize from his "Comedy Central Presents" special, performed a few songs including his notable "She's a Bitch" and "Gotta Get a Girlfriend." As seen by these titles, much of his stand-up and songs consisted of humorous observations about relationships. Concluding his performance, Phillips invited Warren back out to perform an entertaining interpretive dance to a song about a guy who repeatedly gets beaten and raped.

Probably the biggest name of the night, Mike Birbiglia, with two "Comedy Central Presents" and a Comedy Central album under his belt, wrapped up the show with an amazing stand-up set. For most of his routine, he drolly described his chronic sleep walking and overall awkwardness.

His best anecdote involved a woman letting him into his apartment building while carrying a mattress. She said, "I'm not worried because a rapist wouldn't have a bed like that." He humorously pointed out that he should not have said anything, but instead uncomfortably responded, "You'd be surprised."

At the end, the five men joined on stage, each portraying a different stereotype from a party — Birbiglia as the guy with the guitar trying to steal other guys' girlfriends; Phillips as the other guy with the guitar stealing that guy's girls; Warren with his clarinet rendition of Joplin's "The Entertainer"; Smith as the drunk; and MacRae as the guy who does impressions. The others mentioned to MacRae that they had not heard of his type being at parties, and MacRae proceeded to accurately mimic Phillips, Warren and Smith. The show ended with a standing ovation.

Whether listening to the radio in the morning getting ready for work or classes while drinking a cup of coffee, or trying to unwind after a long week while drinking a beer at the Orpheum, audiences will undoubtedly be entertained by these comedians. And Bob and Tom would have been laughing their heads off.