Musical drama stops at Overture

Since the completion of Madison's Overture Center, patrons of the arts have been privileged to enjoy many touring productions that were previously only available in Milwaukee or Chicago. Just last year, the casts of "Chicago" and "Rent" graced the stage of Overture Hall. With "Hairspray" already under its belt for this fall, the Overture is very happy to present Elton John and Tim Rice's "AIDA: The Timeless Love Story."

"AIDA" is a musical drama based on an Italian opera by Giuseppe Verdi and first performed in Cairo in 1871. Although the musical's run on Broadway, which began in 2000, was not the longest — four years, or 1,852 performances — it has certainly kept its momentum going through its numerous national and international tours.

Tonight through Nov. 11, that tour stops here in Madison. For three days and four performances, a story first told through music hundreds of years ago will come to life through the music of Elton John and the lyrics of Tim Rice, whose previous collaboration, "The Lion King," has fared very well on Broadway.

"AIDA" is a musical chronicling a love triangle between Aida, a Nubian princess stolen from her country; Amneris, an Egyptian princess; and Radames, the soldier they both love. How this Tony and Grammy Award-winning musical can be not only an "epic tale of love" but also of loyalty and betrayal remains to be seen, but just hearing the music will be enough to get most people hooked.

Once again, Elton John has been able to incorporate both cultural and pop-cultural music to fit with a very emotional story with the very passionate lyrics of Tim Rice. Though at times departing from conventions unique to African music, many of the songs in the show have very exotic melodies, influenced by mostly West African, Indian and Middle Eastern music. Some are more reminiscent of Elton John's own work, while others like "My Strongest Suit" and "Another Pyramid" draw from Motown and reggae. "The Gods Love Nubia" is an especially soulful number with strong gospel ties.

The original cast of "AIDA" featured Adam Pascal, who played Radames, though he is probably most famous for his role as Roger in the Broadway and film versions of "Rent." His voice is the reason many sought out the soundtrack and then the show itself. Sadly, Pascal is not touring, but the cast does boast a number of talented men and women who will bring pure enjoyment to audiences this weekend. Among them are Leah Allers (Amneris), Casey Elliot (Radames) and Marja Harmon (Aida).

All three of these performers bring powerful voices to the stage, and the opportunity to see these and many other actors and actresses perform is one that should not be passed up. Tickets for Elton John and Tim Rice's "AIDA" are limited and still available for purchase at the Overture Center box office, or on-line at www.overturecenter.com. Student rush tickets will be offered two hours prior to performance time for any remaining seats. With a valid student ID, tickets will be issued at a $10 discount, but must be purchased with cash.