Safes save best for latest

Be it the Kinks, the Beach Boys, AC/DC or even the sugary, slightly-androgynous Hanson, the music industry has long been a creative playground for sibling-centered bands. The Safes are no exception, using their familial instincts to craft a solid pop rock sound indulged in on their forthcoming album Well, Well, Well.

The disc marks the Safes' Brilliante Records debut. The Chicago-based group is comprised of brothers Frankie, Michael and Patrick O'Malley, who grew up in a musical environment fostered by their Irish immigrant father, a record collector and musician in his own right. After playing together on and off throughout their childhood, the brothers officially united under the banner of the Safes in 2003, and they have devised a sound all their own. The energetic band mixes Midwest flair with British rock influence on Well, Well, Well. The vocal inflection and driving guitar chords are often reminiscent of the famed Manchester band of brothers-plus-a-few, Oasis, and at times hint at the Beatles' melodies.

The three-piece ensemble wastes no time getting to the point, quickly launching into the thundering "Since Trust Went Bust." Over a pulsing bass line, the snarling track plays out similar to U.K. up-and-comers the Kaiser Chiefs' "I Predict a Riot." The band creates a sonic wave, then piles guitar and bass riffs on strong before slowing down to create an eerie midpoint, and then it picks up the tempo yet again. The same energy resounds on the echo-drenched "Phone Book Full of Phonies," a track lambasting backstabbers and liars.

Another musical highlight comes on the fifth track, "Bottom's Up," when the tempo slows down ever so slightly to allow the growling vocals and raging guitar solos to shine through. Listeners soon find themselves wrapped up inside the melodic cloth woven by the band as the lead vocals cry out over a textured track featuring a comforting layered chorus, and they will probably start singing along more and more with each passing reprise of the "doo doo doo" vocal line.

Well, Well, Well culminates with a bang on the rousing "Bliss this Instance," which embodies all the pleasing elements of the album's previous tracks. The song combines sharp lyrics, effective rhythms and a multi-faceted arrangement that defies typical pop rock conventions. It begins with a brassy ragtime feel and dances along before picking up momentum and launching into a catchy guitar line that will easily work its way into the minds of listeners.

The Safes display a high level of energy and rock know-how throughout Well, Well, Well's entirety. If the trio's live show is half as forceful as their latest recording effort, Madison audiences will be in for a treat when the Safes play Union South's Club 770 tonight. The Brothers O'Malley will be joined by Milwaukee outfit the Salt Shakers and headliners Much The Same.

The power-pop Salt Shakers bring to mind influences very similar to those of the Safes. The band, which draws upon the styles of Oasis and the Pixies and the hook-making ability of the Cure, has shared the stage with national acts like the Jealous Sounds, Limbeck and the Oranges Band. Veteran Chicago punks Much The Same, on the other hand, will showcase a slightly edgier sound, taking their cues from Bad Religion and Rise Against. The show kicks off at 9:30 p.m. and admission is free.