Campaign gets inspi(RED)

Being University of Wisconsin students, we are obligated to uphold a certain amount of school spirit. Walking through campus it is nearly impossible not to pass a least two dozen Badgers sporting some sort of esteemed Wisconsin insignia. Whether displaying a set of Greek letters, a team jersey, a beloved mascot or simply the candy-cane colors we all know and love, UW students' wardrobes are vivid with Madison pride. This weekend was dominated by the latter style. In true gameday fashion, the Saturday morning streets were lined up and down with a blur of red and white as far as the eye could see.

In fact, as defined as we are by our school, we are almost more defined by our school colors. Within the brilliant crimson and winter white are years of tradition upheld by students, siblings, parents, grandparents and friends. In fact, colors, although simply unacknowledged most of the time, are powerful and representative in many situations.

The fashion industry in particular has always recognized the power of color — and how influential, motivational and important it is in our clothes and in our lives.

Lately I've been seeing more red than just that at the Badger games. In fact, the deep cherry that has slowly but surely taken over all our wardrobes locally has been taking over nationally and internationally, as well. More specifically, I'm speaking of Bono's "Red" campaign. Bono, our favorite U2 band member and world activist, has now decided to take on the AIDS epidemic in Africa.

The campaign — a co-effort between the Irish rocker and Bobby Shriver, the nephew of the late President John F. Kennedy — has already raised nearly $10 million in Britain since its launch there earlier this year. And it looks to continue that success with its U.S. initiative, which kicked off Oct. 13. Bono has long been involved in international humanitarian efforts — with the support of numerous brands, celebrity faces and our populous nation, he is striving to send adequate medication to Africa to help AIDS victims. The anti-retroviral drugs are available in the United States, but are extremely difficult for Africans to afford or acquire. A portion of the profit from every "Red" product purchased goes toward buying and distributing medicine to those dying of the disease across the sea.

The movement is a very prominent topic currently in the media; it has been talked about on Oprah and Letterman and is supported by The New York Times as well as celebrities such as Scarlett Johansson, Penelope Cruz, Don Cheadle, Jennifer Garner and many others.

"People can wear the clothes and know that they are actually doing something for the world," Cheadle said in a press release. "It's a great way to merge fashion and activism."

The Gap in particular has done more than its part to support the campaign, creating T-shirts, hoodies, etc. sporting words that end in red such as: empowered, desired, inspired. Other companies have offered their support as well by creating products to help. Motorola created a red razor phone, American Express made a red credit card, Converse created sneakers made from African fabric, Armani made a red-faced watch and Apple came out with a red iPod.

Now, being Madison students, we are already always on the lookout for things that are red to add to our collection. What do we have to lose by being "conscious consumers" as Bono puts it? It isn't every day that saving the world is made this convenient or coincidently reflective of our current wardrobe. We should take advantage of such an incredible opportunity by doing our part to help. It might seem unbelievable that a color can do so much. Even though red has always been the color of confidence and power, it seems amazing that it can help rouse the spirit needed to beat an opposing football team while concurrently helping to beat the AIDS epidemic. So as the holiday season approaches, why not put out a little extra green, gain a little extra red and help save lives?

Check out JoinRed.com, Gap.com or Oprah.com for more information on Bono's "Red" campaign and how you can do your part to help in the fight against AIDS.