Costner, Kutcher overcome cliches

Director Andrew Davis' latest, "The Guardian," takes a new twist on an old favorite, mixing the generic military yarn with a fresh subject. Unlike other, more familiar military training-based motion pictures (think "Top Gun" and "Officer and a Gentleman"), this one is not combat-oriented but focuses on the much-overlooked U.S. Coast Guard and its daring efforts to save lives in turbulent waters.

Unfortunately, the film plays like a recruitment tape poorly infused with never-ending clichés and story lines that strain to pull at the heartstrings. And yet, when you add one part Kevin Costner as the aging instructor to one part Ashton Kutcher as the overly proud student, the resulting picture is surprisingly not all bad.

"The Guardian" begins with Costner ("Rumor Has It") as decorated rescue swimmer Ben Randall, a near-legend in the field who feels the impending onset of old age. He grapples with the loss of his team in a field accident along with the forthcoming divorce from his neglected wife, Helen (Sela Ward), who has finally had enough of him. Before long, Randall has unwillingly been given the lead instructor position at the USCG's training camp, known as A School, and relocates there for 18 weeks of drama, mishaps, whiskey and general life lessons.

Most of the film is taken up with A School and its related endeavors, and it is here where Randall meets coast guard hopeful Jake Fischer (Kutcher, TV's "That 70's Show"). The cocky but accomplished high school swimmer proves his worth in speed and ability but fails to see the bigger picture of working not to gain medals but as a team. Fischer also fills the obligatory romantic role, wooing sexy schoolteacher Emily (Melissa Sagemiller) between drills in the pool.

Predictably, Randall and Fischer butt heads the majority of the time, and it becomes obvious the two will eventually have something to learn from each other. Once beer and a bar fight with some unruly marines come into play, the pair manages to find a working mutual respect. Their teacher-student relationship is honest and relatable, and even manages to stay captivating for the whole 2 hours 20 minutes.

Costner is perfectly cast as the Captain. It is a role similar to those he has played before (as in "The Upside of Anger"), where he is coming to terms with middle age and dealing with a few usual internal life conflicts with the quiet resolve that seems so natural for him. While the beginning and end of the film are filled with action-packed rescue scenes, Costner takes control of the middle training sequences with his commanding demeanor and affability.

Kutcher's portrayal of the determined recruit who hides some personal demons of his own is unexpectedly impressive; his character becoming more complex and interesting as the film progresses. Kutcher proves without a doubt that he can easily transition from the dazed and dim-witted Kelso of "That 70's Show" and other romantic comedy bits to a more serious role. At one point he even sheds a few very emotional and — gasp — believable tears.

What also works in "The Guardian" is its high-energy tempo. For a military training movie, the exercises put to the recruits succeed in never feeling dull or like scenes seen before in other films. This result is partially helped by Randall's creative, unorthodox teaching manner. For instance, teaching the ABCs of hypothermia by getting everyone, including himself, into a pool of freezing cold water and ice and making them stay there while attempting to practice CPR on mannequins as the effects set in.

"The Guardian" comes at a time when all other branches of the military have had scores of spots in the limelight, and now in our post-Katrina society the USCG finally gets its 15 minutes of fame. For a movie that was filmed with and in cooperation with the Coast Guard, "The Guardian" honors those men and women who risk their lives so, as their motto reads, "that others may live."

When the real action of the movie culminates in the final rescue missions, it is, to say the least, altogether satisfying. Although the story is riddled with poorly crafted lines and clichés, these flaws don't overcome the general awe-inspiring nature of the film at the dangerous life these men and women lead. "The Guardian" is an enjoyable ride that should be enjoyed, if only because it will likely be the only USCG-inspired flick to emerge from Hollywood.

Grade: 4 out of 5