Sketch comedy coming back

Back in 1993, when MTV still occasionally aired something worth watching, a little-show-that-could debuted. "The State" was a sketch comedy program written and performed by 11 members — 10 males and one female — all of whom attended New York University where they first met and formed the group.

The little-show-that-could just couldn't anymore in 1995 after a mere three seasons consisting of less than 30 episodes. The plan was to move to CBS, but after airing only one primetime special, the show was gone for good. But what a run it had. "The State" introduced the world to such characters as Doug, Capt. Monterey Jack, Old-Fashioned Guy and Louie: The Guy Who Comes In and Says His Catchphrase ("I wanna dip my balls in it!") Over and Over Again.

Looking back, "The State" was ahead of its time. If it existed today, for instance, its audacious attitude, pop culture commentary and often entirely random humor would perhaps best serve the Adult Swim audience. If you are a fan of such shows and have not seen "The State," I highly recommend looking it up on the Internet. (Disclaimer: I am neither encouraging you to do, nor admitting personally to having done, anything of an illegal nature. I am simply informing you that it can be found in various places on the Internet. But really, get your hands on it.)

Also, according to "The State's" official website, there is no word on whether a DVD will ever be released. With such a grim outlook, the Internet may be the only way to see it. Sometimes you need to break the law for a good cause, such as when stealing a loaf of bread to feed your family. Yes, I am comparing downloading "The State" to stealing a loaf of bread to nourish your starving children. They are both equally as rewarding.

Luckily, fans of "The State" will soon be treated to a big-screen reunion. "Reno 911!: Miami" will hit theaters some time in 2007, bringing the hit Comedy Central series as well as the entire cast of "The State" to movie theaters across the nation. Even Todd Holoubek, who left the group following the end of the MTV series, will appear in the film. I am uncertain in what capacity the troupe will perform in the movie. Either way, there is no question that every single member will be featured, and that's something to get excited about. WOO! Look at how excited I am.

"But Mike, that's not until next year. I can't wait that long. I want to see some comedy reminiscent of 'The State' right now!" you might be saying, especially if you are reading this out loud. Have no fear. Currently, portions of the ensemble can be found on DVD and television. Three of "The State's" players — Thomas Lennon, Ben Garant and Kerri Kenney — are members of "Reno 911!" which is regularly run and re-run on Comedy Central. Also, the first three seasons are currently available on DVD. As an added bonus, many of their "State" costars have made guest appearances on the show.

Another Comedy Central show, which unfortunately doesn't get quite the same amount of rerun exposure, is "Stella," a personal favorite. "Stella: Season One" was just released on DVD this Tuesday. Sadly, it might as well be called "Stella: The Complete Series." Comedy Central did not renew the program for another season. Excuse me for a moment.

WHY GOD, WHY? Okay, I'm ready to continue.

"Stella" features another trio from "The State" — Michael Ian Black, Michael Showalter and David Wain. Contrary to almost every synopsis ever written for the show, "Stella" was not sketch comedy. If it were anything, it would be some kind of untraditional, satirical sitcom. In reality, though, this show cannot be put into any one genre.

"Stella" follows the nonsensical adventures of Michael, Michael and David. All three inexplicably wear suits at nearly all times, which in turn makes the stupid humor seem more respectable, while the intelligent humor remains delightfully stupid. Does that even make sense? It would if you have seen the show.

During the 10-episode run, the three men dress up as skunk people to impress the board of directors for an apartment they'd like to rent; are given high-ranking office jobs following an impressive performance during a potato sack race at a company picnic; are employed at and operate separate coffee establishments with varying success; take over a child's paper route after running him down with their car; write a best-selling novel that sounds as if it was written by a child; and visit an amusement park via their imagination. Every episode has more humorous twists and turns than one can even begin to describe.

Aside from the DVD, "Stella," like "The State," can also be found on the Internet. For one, the complete "Stella" series can be downloaded from iTunes. Also, College Humor has a collection of "Stella Shorts" that were made between 1998 and 2002 during the early years of the group. The "Stella Shorts" go to places that a television show could never venture. I'll just say that almost every skit humorously incorporates a dildo in one way or another. Links to these sites can be found at www.stellacomedy.com.

You'll notice that these are all methods that don't require you to break the law. If you prefer breaking the law, I recommend pretending that you're being sneaky by wearing a ski mask while legally downloading and watching the videos.

Regardless of how you must watch these shows, I urge you to watch them all the same. Hearing that even a single reader received the smallest bit of joy from "The State" or "Stella," which he or she may not have received were it not for me, would just make me so excited. WOO! Look at how excited I'd be.

Are you excited too? Has Mike inspired you to get your hands on a few episodes of quality comedy? Let him know at [email protected].