Local deli treats tastebuds

Not far off the beaten path of State Street is a restaurant many may not know about. Quinton's Bar & Deli, located at 319 West Gorham, has a menu and venue that rival any other soup-and-sandwich place in town — and it won't break your budget, either.

What separates Quinton's from other places like it is its atmosphere. Featuring silver-painted brick walls adorned with large images of famous artists including Janis Joplin and John Lennon, the restaurant definitely emanates classic rock. This is further reflected in the choice of music played. With walls lined with spacious booths as well as a bar and regular tables, the restaurant is a great place for large or small groups.

With spring here and summer on the way, Quinton's outdoor patio seating is a great option for those who are looking to combine and enjoy great food and weather. Speaking of food, Quinton's offers a substantial array of options for diners to choose from.

For an appetizer, the chips and salsa ($4.50) or nachos ($5.50) are always a safe bet, but if you are looking for an amazing starter to your meal, look no further than the spinach and artichoke dip ($6). The dip is made with fresh spinach and artichoke hearts, diced and mixed with a blend of cheeses and spices and topped with Parmesan cheese. Served in a bread bowl with enough slices of bread and tortilla chips to feed several, it is a great choice and a favorite among the Quinton's staff.

Moving on to entrees, there are many choices: sandwiches ($5.25-$6.95), salads ($2.25-$6.95), bread-bowl soups ($4) and spuds ($4.50-$6.00). If it had not been for the helpful advice of the server, it would have taken much longer to order. With so many options, the sandwich and bread-bowl soup with chips is a great deal at $7.95 — plus, you get to experience two items instead of one.

With the server's help, I went with half of The Badger ($6.95), a sandwich with marinated chicken breast covered with melted provolone cheese, sliced tomatoes, lettuce and the house honey mustard, which added a sweet and delicious flavor to the chicken. This also came with its choice of bread: white, wheat, rye or croissant, and a choice of chips.

Although all of the soups seemed wonderful, I chose the recommended creamy potato bacon. The soup was exceptional, with very large chunks of potato mixed with pieces of bacon and topped with cheese and chives. Served in a bread bowl, this is a very filling meal in itself, and when combined with a sandwich, you will probably come home with leftovers — which are never bad things.

For the vegetarians out there, do not worry. Despite their numerous meat-filled sandwiches (like their corned beef sandwich [$6.95], smoked turkey [$6.50] and chicken philly [$6.95]), Quinton's has a large selection of veggie and non-meat dishes as well.

The Veggie ($6.50) is a sandwich that would satisfy anyone with its layers of cheddar and provolone cheese, lettuce, sprouts, tomato, avocado, onion, green peppers, black olives and artichoke hearts, with a spread of mayo.

Other tasty vegetarian sandwich options include the grilled cheese ($5.25), Ahi tuna sandwich ($6.95), Santa Fe veggie ($6.95) and Humble Humus ($6.95). Avocado is an ingredient used in many of the vegetarian and non-vegetarian sandwiches, something that gives Quinton's a unique flair.

Many of the restaurant's spuds are also vegetarian-friendly. The Hey Cheeseball Spud — two potatoes emptied and covered with cheddar and Swiss cheese, butter, sour cream and chili con queso — tastes amazing and not surprisingly exactly like cheesy potatoes.

If you still have room after the main course, try one of their appetizing desserts, which range from Rice Krispie treats ($3) to the Martini Sundae ($3.95), a fudge brownie topped with vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and strawberries, served in a martini glass.

Speaking of martinis, Quinton's has a sizable martini menu with scrumptious options like "Chocolate Covered Cherry" and "Sex in the Suburbs." Furthermore, how could the place really be considered a Madison bar if it didn't have drink specials? Mondays are all about the $3 martinis from 5-10 p.m. Quinton's has a special every night of the week and is open for dining purposes from 11 a.m. until 1 a.m.

So whether you're looking for hearty dinner, light lunch or a great bar, Quinton's is a place with a great atmosphere and service that is definitely worth repeated visits.