Kansas native releases enjoyable CD

The name Danny Pound may not sound familiar around here, but in his hometown of Lawrence, Kan., and its surrounding areas, he has a large fan base that has been patiently waiting for his solo debut. It has been a long time coming for this talented musician. Pound began his music career back in 1988 with two friends at the ripe old age of 16. The band was called Vitreous Humor, and although they never made it big, they put out some recordings with the small label Crank!

In 1996, tensions within the group heightened, and the group split. Not wanting to give up, Pound and the other founding members formed The Regrets and recorded an album in Chicago. The band toured for a while, but compared with the 8-year life of Vitreous Humor, The Regrets folded rather quickly.

Over the next few years, Pound found a new interest in folk music and spent time listening to the American Anthology of Folk Music and singer/songwriters from the early '70s such as Gene Clark (the Byrds) and John Stewart (Kingston Trio). Their influence is notable in his latest work.

That latest work is Surer Days (2005, Remedy Records), and since the last time Danny (vocals/guitar) released anything was back in 1997, a lot of changes have been made both in sound and in lyrics. The Danny Pound Band formed in 2000. Their album, Surer Days, is the result of four years of hard work and toil both of Pound with fellow musicians and band members David Swenson (guitar/piano), Jeremy Sidener (bass) and Dan Benson (drums).

Despite its rock/pop classification, Surer Days is unlike most music being played on the radio today. Rather, its sound brings listeners back in time with a definite '70s vibe. With '70s country-folk and rock influences like Bob Dylan, the Byrds, Randy Newman, the Roches, Ronnie Lane and John Stewart, the album has a unique, appealing feel throughout.

How does this compare to the music of his contemporaries? Simply put, it should not have to compare to anyone. This band stays true to itself and its roots, not allowing the music industry to make it conform to what is popular here and now. Having performed locally, for the most part, they still have the bar-band effect and play what they write.

Most of the album is on the softer side. Some songs are very bluesy, and Pound uses the guitar and piano effectively together, playing one off the other. As for his voice, it is clear and never overreaching in range. Listeners will be able to feel the heart and soul in it.

The lack of up-tempo music may be a turn-off for some, but the album is so full of poetic words and harmonic acoustics that one is likely to forget that "Put it Down" is the only song resembling hard-rock. Songs like "Angry Love," with their Beatles-esque vibe, will inspire nostalgia as well as enjoyment for listeners.

Rating: 4 out of 5