Screamers save day with ‘Heroine’

We've grown up with superheroes, both male and female. From Superman to Wonder Woman and every heroic character in between, the supernatural fictional people who come in at the last minute to save the world from some menacing threat fascinate our culture.

The Florida punk band From First to Last is no exception to this interest, going so far as naming their second album Heroine. Since the band is made up of four young men, it is an interesting choice of title and it may make some wonder: whom is this heroine alluded to in the title?

That question is answered in the final song on the album, appropriately titled "Heroine." The lyrics: "Mother, is it hard to recognize me now? / I've lost my name / heroine oh heroine / where have you been when I've needed you?" This is the song with the fewest lyrics, yet it is obviously significant to the musicians. It is also indicative of the feeling they put into the rest of their lyrics.

Considering this band is still in the (hopefully) early stages of their career, they have come a long way. Guitarist/screamer Travis Richter and vocalist/guitarist Matt Good founded the band back in 2002 and invited Derek Bloom in as a drummer/fellow screamer. The then-15-year-old/now lead vocalist Sonny Moore joined them soon after when the band and its original vocalist parted ways.

Their first album, Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has a Body Count, brought them not only popularity, but it also received a significant amount of criticism for its lack of connectedness and substantive lyrics. The band's second album needed to be stronger, and the release of Heroine has proved that this band has matured a lot, both in sound and in lyrical quality.

However, despite their successes in the recording studio and on the road, these young men might be a tad arrogant in calling themselves on their website "one of the only truly punk bands left," considering the wide span of music and artists this genre encompasses.

Though punk music is very popular, Heroine is an album that attracts a more specific audience because of its metal and hardcore qualities. It can be described as belonging to the "screamer" persuasion, which may put off potential listeners who deem the music too harsh for them. Heroine definitely takes a few listens before one can decipher anything but a really loud, head-banging sound. After listening to it a couple times, though, listeners will begin to look beyond the noise and to the talent that is there.

While consistency seemed to be an issue on their first album, the band members put a lot of effort into improving their sound and quality. Heroine is a representation of the group's achievement in that area. As evidenced by the weight of the lyrics in "Heroine," the band was going for emotion over tone. Songs like "World War Me" and "The Levy" are examples of the depth these artists have found in their work.

Listeners will be pleased by the appearance of guest artists on the album. Both Wes Borland, former Limp Bizkit guitarist, and Nine Inch Nails programmer Atticus Ross lend their talents to the music. The increased use of programming in song composition is one of the ways From First to Last looked to improve its sound.

From First to Last set out with the goal of creating an empowering work of music. Fans of the band will find that Heroine fulfills this goal, while first-time listeners may have to try hard to push through the screaming and loud music and listen to the expressive lyrics. The album is a sort of diamond in the rough. There's substance, but listeners have to spend some time digging through the noise to get to it.

Rating: 3 out of 5