Latest in line of 'the' bands entertains

What's in a name? By now the use of the word "the" in a band's name is beyond overkill. Its placement in a group's title has reached the point where it is not anything memorable and it almost automatically points to unoriginality. And that's before the play button is even pushed. What chance does a new band such as the Subways have at survival in such a critical world of music listeners?

It was sometime during 2002 that the new onslaught of "The" bands completely exploded. The Strokes, the Hives, the Vines and the White Stripes all put a new face on the alternative rock scene. Listeners were captivated by their high-energy performances, hard, pounding beats and in more than one case somewhat pretentious color shticks. Masses of hipsters everywhere laced up their chucks and flocked to their concerts, with the rest of the country following suit soon after.

Although their familiar sound has not completely died, four years later the current trend has changed slightly. A bit more glam and a lot more influenced by New Wave, the decidedly different musical stylings of bands like the Killers and Franz Ferdinand are now at the forefront of the indie rock scene. The transition from one type to the next has provided the perfect atmosphere for the arrival of the Subways, a London-based group composed of Billy Luhn (vocalist/guitarist), his fiancée Charlotte Cooper (vocalist/bassist) and his half brother Josh Morgan (drummer).

British imports like the Subways are not a new phenomenon in the world of music. The influx of bands from across the pond has been steady since Beatlemania struck the United States back in the '60s. However, the Subways' sound is far from British pop. Originally released in the United Kingdom last July and now available stateside as of last week, the trio's debut album Young For Eternity is ambitious yet rewarding for such a young group. Not only does the album harness the two different types of rock already mentioned, but it also manages to incorporate a wide variety of other tastes as well — spanning all the way from punk to pop. The eclectic sound of the Subways has already taken Britain by storm and they are set to do the same here in the States.

The Subways began their slow but steady invasion back in November. Audiences may have caught the band on an episode of "The OC," a show that has already featured the likes of such indie rock favorites Modest Mouse and Death Cab For Cutie. Interspersed between scenes of So Cal teen angst, the group performed their singles "Oh Yeah" and "Rock & Roll Queen," the latter of which is featured as the opening track on the show's most recent soundtrack installment.

Both singles are found on the first half of Young For Eternity, which gives listeners a one-two punch of heavy-hitting rock. Those songs in addition to others like the title track as well as the opener "I Want To Hear What You Have Got To Say" showcase Luhn bellowing in a way that is half-singing, half-shouting the lyrics — very reminiscent of the Vines' anthemic "Get Free." Yet later on in the album, Luhn softens up on such tracks as "Lines Of Light" and "She Sun." The mood of Young For Eternity begins to invoke a certain nostalgia for mid-'90s Oasis. Additionally, assisting Luhn on some of the tracks are vixen-like vocals from Cooper. Her voice is sexy and demure in that rock and roll princess sort of way — not as course and crude as say Courtney Love. Nevertheless, what works so well for Young For Eternity is that amid the varied assortment of songs, a satisfying cohesiveness is still maintained.

Consistent throughout the album are catchy and repetitious lyrics. The majority of the track lengths on Young For Eternity are kept short, averaging less than three minutes a song. Embracing the notion of keeping things short and sweet, the album is kept fast-paced and chockfull of adrenaline — perfect for getting the listener's energy flowing, whether it is on the walk to class or as one gets ready for a Friday night out on the town.

Open-ended as it may be, people will always try to define generations by their choice in rock music. During the '80s it was hair bands. Then in the '90s it was all about grunge. So what about now? What will define this generation? There is no question that the first decade of the 21st century will forever be associated with the "The" bands. And with their flavorful debut album, the Subways are well on their way to claiming their rightful spot among the host of others.

Rating: 5 out of 5