Ford proves action prowess in latest

What ever happened to Harrison Ford? It has been almost three years since he was last seen on the big screen, starring along side Josh Hartnett and Master P in "Hollywood Homicide" (a movie that can only be described as a decisive factor in his recent hiatus). For a man who has been in the business for almost four decades now, it would have been a shame to see him bow out on such a low note. Luckily, Ford is back and showing he's still got it.

And what better way to get back into the swing of things than with what Ford does best — action flicks. He has made a definitive mark within the genre throughout the span of his career, starring in numerous blockbusters: "Star Wars," "Indiana Jones," "The Fugitive," "Air Force One" and the list goes on. Deciding to do "Firewall" must have been a no-brainer, as it does not stray too much from his usual roles.

In the film, he stars as Jack Stanfield, who is both a dedicated family man and accomplished businessman. As the head security specialist for a major bank, Jack unfortunately gets caught in a high-stakes robbery scheme. His family is taken hostage in his own home and the only way to make sure they survive is by playing by their rules.

The leading man who saves the day is something Ford has down cold. Except there is just one problem: Harrison Ford is old. Sixty-three years old, to be exact. During certain scenes in "Firewall," the audience is left wondering whether he is going to break a hip. As implausible as him being cast in such a physically demanding role may be, the rest of the film more than makes up for it.

Playing within the formulaic confines inherent in any action movie, success always hinges upon how well it pulls off suspense. As Jack consistently tries to thwart the criminals' plans, "Firewall" keenly keeps the audience gripping their arm rests. This is an unexpected achievement, as most viewers are not easily enthralled with basic "good guy versus bad guy" storylines. But it is that return to basics that "Firewall" taps into and makes work. For instance, it stands as what seems to be the only modern-day action movie that does not involve someone's cell phone either dying or not getting service at a very crucial moment. Considering the plot is so heavily based on technology, it could have easily went that route, but it is the movie's avoidance of such clichéd plot twists that keeps it fresh.

But that is not the only way "Firewall" differs from other films like it. The standard action-adventure film drags on for well over two hours, always filled with a dozen too many gunfights and explosions. Contrarily, "Firewall" runs a much more comfortable hour and forty-five minutes. The plot plays out precisely as needed, finding that happy medium between mind-numbing drudgery and flying so fast that the audience is left confused. What's more, helping the film's timing is that the story does not waste a second on uninteresting set-up. Within the first 10 minutes, the drama has begun, and it does not let up until the closing scenes.

As for how it plays out, for the most part Ford just grunts through his lines. Although at times it may not be all too interesting to watch, he still gets the job done and in a convincing enough manner. Besides, it provides the perfect opportunity for his co-star, Paul Bettany ("Wimbledon"), to shine. Bettany plays Brian Cox, the ringleader and mastermind behind the criminal scheme. The Brit's smarmy attitude that he gives to the character plays well off Ford's good-hearted, all-American quality. As for the other characters, such as Jack's wife (Virginia Madsen, "Sideways") and two kids (Carly Schroeder, "Mean Creek"; Jimmy Bennet, "The Amityville Horror"), they all do well making the audience actually care about them and their safety. But more importantly, they avoid being that annoyingly stupid family that the audience spends the entire movie rolling their eyes at, chastising their every action or remark.

The announcement of Ford's upcoming involvement in an "Indiana Jones 4" is still a scary thought. He should be more concerned about his health and wellbeing and not so much about proving himself to Spielberg. Sure, seniors are more active nowadays, but come on. However, if "Firewall" teaches audiences one thing, it's that the man knows how to carry a good action flick — even if he's old enough to be some audience members' grandfather.

Rating: 4 out of 5