Gaffigan still bringing laughs

Jim Gaffigan's newest CD, Beyond the Pale, provides proof that stand-up comedy still has territory to explore. Though much of Gaffigan's larger topics are nothing new, the details and delivery of the jokes are some of the most creative and clever in recent history.

Gaffigan's unique style of stand-up comedy is like listening to two people interacting. On one side, there is the cynical, sarcastic Jim. This Jim constantly complains about the world, makes objectionable observations and speaks without giving any thought to what he is saying (not literally of course, each joke is clearly well thought out).

On the other side are reactions from easily offended, soft-spoken Jim. This Jim provides quick commentary following many of sarcastic Jim's statements. He is like the guy that showed up to the theater expecting a traditional ventriloquist act but is bombarded with social commentary that goes against his every principle.

The two beings brilliantly bounce off each other, creating ridiculous remarks followed by immediate annotations. Both are hilarious and often rely on the other's existence to make the joke work and create segues.

Speaking of segues, the second track of the album is entitled "I Love Food." This might as well have been the album's title. Fourteen of the 21 tracks focus on food. This certainly is not a complaint, though. Gaffigan confirms that food is, believe it or not, funny. What topic is more universal than jokes about something that most people sit down to eat three (or four or five) times a day?

Gaffigan is not only an expert on eating; he is an expert at leading his audience one way, then abruptly turning in the other direction. For example, he tells his audience that he recently became a vegetarian. He asks if anyone else is a vegetarian. A few people applaud.

Then he reveals that he is not a strict vegetarian. He still eats beef, pork and chicken. He does not eat fish, though. That would be disgusting. How can someone even tell when fish goes bad? Fish always smells like a dumpster.

One track that probably belongs in the dumpster is "Hot Pockets." Gaffigan previously presented this bit on his last album Doing My Time. The audience, full of his fans, roars as he begins to tell the joke. It would be great to see it performed live, but why he chooses to include it twice on different CDs is questionable. It is a solid bit, and still entertaining, but it does not add anything to this album. Would a musician release two versions of the same song? Wait, that is a bad example.

Perhaps, then, this track should have been called "Hot Pockets Remix." However, this second version is in no way a significant alteration. "Lukewarm Pockets" would be more fitting. It is hard to fault Gaffigan for including this bit on more than one album since it is quite funny and some casual fans may expect it, but there was no need for this second appearance.

Still, the rest of Gaffigan's jokes are fresh, funny and more than make up for this slight slipup. He could have just focused on his Cinnabon material. "You have to take a nap halfway through," Gaffigan says, describing the long and arduous task of eating a Cinnabon. Then he compares Cinnabons to beanbag chairs, providing an amusing and somewhat frightening mental picture of him sitting sans pants on a giant Cinnabon.

From fodder to the Holy Father, Gaffigan continues to impress as he rips into religion. Of course, he still finds a way to talk about food. "Would you have ever been tempted by an apple?" Gaffigan asks referring to Adam and Eve's exile, "I would have been like, 'Cover it in caramel and get back to me.'" Plus, his portrayal of Joseph learning of Mary's pregnancy is incredible.

Gaffigan discusses countless controversial subjects, but what is most shocking is that he manages to remain edgy without depending on profanity. His white album cover looks like barren tundra in the comedy section, lacking the "Parental Advisory" stamp of disapproval that so many possess. There would be nothing wrong with swearing, but to be witty without relying on this classic comic crutch is commendable.

Gaffigan's Beyond the Pale, along with his DVD of the same name that is sadly sold separately, are stand-up staples for all fans of comedy. His humor transcends age, gender, ethnicity and perhaps even species. After sarcastic Jim makes a brash observation about eating a fish with its head still attached, soft-spoken Jim responds, "What if a fish was in the audience?" The answer: It would be laughing its head off.

Rating: 4 out of 5