Romantic film enjoyable fare

The sweet smell of candy hearts is in the air as Valentine's Day quickly approaches. For some, the fateful date will bring about a dozen roses or perhaps a heart-shaped box of chocolates. But for others, it means 'tis the season to be lonely, bitter and completely opposed to anything remotely romantic. For them, the idea of going to see a lovey-dovey movie like "Something New" is utterly nauseating.

And at first, the film seems to be headed in that very direction. As the audience already knows exactly what needs to be established within the first 20 minutes, the film starts at a slow pace. But once the plot is set in motion, the viewer realizes that "Something New" actually lives up to its title.

Even the film's main character, Kenya McQueen, would be skeptical at first about the opposites-attract premise. Played by Sanaa Lathan (more commonly known as the girl from "Love & Basketball"), Kenya is an accomplished black businesswoman who has everything she wants. That is, everything except love. Anal retentive to the highest degree, she has almost impossible criteria for her IBM (ideal black man).

Eventually, she begrudgingly agrees to go on a blind date set up by a co-worker. To her surprise, Brian (Simon Baker, "Land of the Dead") is white. Uncomfortable and uninterested, Kenya cuts the date short, expecting to never see him again. But after another chance encounter, Kenya agrees to hire Brian as her landscaper. Some flirtatious quibbling ensues and it is only a matter of time before the two are passionately kissing in the pouring rain.

But if only it were that simple. Kenya and Brian seem doomed from the start. The racial divide puts a lot of stress on their relationship, whether it is from friends, family or even from Kenya herself. Plus the arrival of the debonair Mark (played by the ever-so-suave Blair Underwood) does not make the situation any better.

It is obvious that the plot is straightforward and plays out as expected. "Something New" is a romantic comedy and it therefore plays by the rules. But there is something distinctive in how it accomplishes its goals that makes it something fun, something worthwhile and genuinely something new.

The movie steers clear of being typical by breaking expectations. For instance, the comedic part of this romantic comedy is actually quite minimal compared to recent forays into the genre. Films like "Hitch" and "Meet The Fockers" have gotten so extremely centered on hilarious antics that the sentiment becomes lost. Contrarily, Kenya and Brian's emotions are genuine in the eyes of the audience.

Without the reliance on humor, the tone of "Something New" is kept more on the serious side of things. Not serious as in the someone-might-die sort of way, but rather more sincere, providing the racial issues of the film legitimacy. Whereas last year's "Guess Who" with Ashton Kutcher had the same black/white set-up, "Something New" succeeds in not relying on the cheap played-out racial jokes. The few interspersed moments where such comments are made are evenly punctuated throughout the film while still maintaining a certain relevance to the storyline.

So far in their careers both Lathan and Baker have been vastly underused in Hollywood. It is surprising that bigger names did not land the leading roles in their place, especially when looking at the depth of the supporting cast. But any doubts the viewer might have are quickly erased by the duo's performances as Lathan and Baker's unfolding chemistry is truly what seals the deal.

The first time Kenya and Brian meet, Lathan's uneasiness is so spot-on that the audience is squirming in their seats right along with her. Everyone knows that complete unnerving feeling she is going through, but it is rarely portrayed so accurately on screen. It is that authenticity that carries over into Kenya and Brian's budding romance. All too often characters in movies fall in love in what seems to be a mere two scenes. "Something New" does not push the protagonists together, which only makes the audience want to root for them even more.

Although the interracial relationship has been decreasing in shock value over the years, it is evident that a wide range of prejudices remains in tact. Although the story has been told before and the message remains the same, "Something New" puts a delightful spin on it all that is certain to please all the hopeless romantics out there, and more than likely some of the cynics as well.

Rating: 4 out of 5