P.O.D. rock with reggae, rap vibes

Today the members of the band P.O.D. (Payable On Death) celebrate the release of Testify, their fourth album with Atlantic Records. Loyal followers, known as the Warriors, who have been following P.O.D.'s music since the band's first album with Atlantic six years ago, will be very pleased with what this new album has to offer.

Testify, in many ways, stays true to the group's hard rock origins, while also branching out to include different styles of music that have influenced the four musicians, including reggae, hip-hop and rap. To successfully integrate the different sounds, P.O.D. called on the talent of Hasidic reggae artist Matisyahu and the L.A. rap duo The Psycho Realm to contribute to the effort.

For listeners who enjoy hard rock, Testify will likely not disappoint. Not only have reggae and rap been incorporated more into the songs, but this also happens to be the first album on which the band has used a 7-string guitar. Besides the dramatic effect more notes can add to a chord, the instrument offers a new and aesthetically pleasing sound to the group's music.

Testify contains an array of 13 songs that incorporate not only a wide array of styles but also a variety of emotional and personal influences that provide a notable passion for the music and lyrics that is sometimes lacking in today's music world.

The entire album simultaneously embodies both a passionate and hardcore vibe. Tones range from the deathly serious "Let You Down," inspired by the band's personal tragedies, to the warrior cry of "Teachers," saying it's time to rise up and speak the truth, something the title itself implies.

How is it really possible to know what messages artists are trying to get across in their music? For years listeners have been grappling with complex lyrics from musicians. Thankfully, and perhaps for the first time in history, this album offers a way to gain that insight. Testify contains a special feature often found on DVDs, the entire album on another CD with the addition of artist commentary throughout. This offers listeners the opportunity to experience the songs on the album and learn more about them, as if Sonny Sandoval, Jason Truby, Traa Daniels and Wuv Bernardo are actually sitting around with you listening to the album and discussing the tracks.

This unique component allows listeners to gain a deeper understanding of what goes on behind the music. Anyone can learn everything from what inspired the song, to where it was created, who worked on it and even what the original working title was for the song. For example, "Lights Out" was originally titled "ESPN" because it was created to be like one of those songs you hear on Monday Night Football, and when you hear that from the artists and then listen to the song again, it has new meaning.

Although music has different meanings for every person who makes it and every person who experiences it, getting to hear what the artists' inspirations and feelings surrounding the music often enhance a person's own experiences. From this commentary, listeners will also get the feeling that the artists are proud of every track on this album and that each holds a special meaning for them.

Having had the same label since the beginning of its mainstream career, it is clear that P.O.D. is carrying on strong. By continuing to make music based on their own influences and beliefs as opposed to simply following trends seen in popular music, the group shows they have enough confidence in their own fan base. So long as P.O.D. continues to crank out the quality material found on Testify, it's likely the "Warriors" won't be going anywhere.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars