Theatrical adaptation of musical proves holiday treat

After months of anticipation, "RENT" fans everywhere flocked to theaters Wednesday, Nov. 23, in fewer numbers than originally expected. However, those that did attend opening weekend should not have been disappointed. The movie, which clocks in at approximately two hours, is full of hair-raising musical numbers in a story covering themes as hopeful as new love and as dark as death and disease.

Potential viewers may be put off by the fact that "RENT" is a musical, but make no mistake, this is unlike any other musical in production. Jonathon Larson, the creator of "RENT," spent seven long years working on this project he would not see the completion of. He died of an aortic aneurysm at the age of 35, on the day of the first performance.

As much as Jon Larson believed in "RENT," it is uncertain he ever realized what a true sensation it would become, or that it would ever be created into a major motion picture. After all, before "RENT" hit the big screen it was on Broadway winning awards, including four Tonys, the Pulitzer Prize for Drama and many others back in 1996.

Larson's rock opera is not only based on Puccini's opera, "La Boheme," but on his own experiences as a bohemian living in New York City. "RENT" follows a year in the lives of eight friends, living in New York in the midst of the AIDS epidemic. Set in 1989, "at the end of the millennium" these eight individuals are struggling with a multitude of troubles including AIDS, homelessness, drugs, loss and death.

Each of the characters in "RENT" has his or her own story to be told through the music of the talented Larson. However, as talented as Larson was, his musical alone could not have made the film what it is. The cast is really what makes the movie. With most of the musical's original cast returning, there is a really great dynamic between actors, all of whom have stellar voices and long lists of previous acting experience making them well-suited to portray a motley crew of characters who are gay, straight, boisterous, sullen, dramatic, rich, poor, snobby and many others.

The film's cast includes Rosario Dawson as Mimi, Taye Diggs as Benny and Tracie Thoms as Joanne. All three may be newcomers to "RENT," but not to performing, as all have many film and musical credits to their names.

Then there are the others who originated their roles in "RENT," such as Jesse M. Martin (Collins) who is now most recognized as Det. Edward Green from "Law & Order." Idina Menzel (Maureen) has continued a Broadway career but has branched out into acting as well. Adam Pascal (Roger) is a talented musician who has released his own albums in addition to continued work on Broadway.

Anthony Rapp (Mark) has been in numerous film and stage productions and has also written a book about his "RENT" experiences to be released in early 2006. Wilson Heredia (Angel) has also continued to work in film and on stage and even wrote an original song for one of his productions.

Despite the obvious talent, it was uncertain how the final product would appear to the masses. It has been said that "RENT" will not attract many new audiences and many have questioned how Chris Columbus would do with a film that is so characteristically different from some of his other, more recent films, including the first two "Harry Potter" films. Whatever the doubts, it seems that Columbus is one to take on large tasks and make something great out of them.

Chris Columbus does things for the show that simply can't be done on stage. There is more development of certain characters and there are scenes that can be enjoyed, if not more, then in a different manner, than from a balcony, far from the actors.

Some scenes are especially moving, including those that take place in an AIDS support group. The viewer feels a part of this very intimate group of people expressing their fears about the disease and their uncertain futures.

Other scenes contain songs that make you want to get up and dance. Particularly, "La Vie Boheme" is a very lively number celebrating the consumption of wine and beer as well as many other aspects of their culture. These types of scenes are what make "RENT" stand out as musical as well as a film.

Many other musicals have been adapted to the screen over the past several years and have all met with significant success, including "Evita," "Chicago," "The Phantom of the Opera" and, soon, "The Producers." What brings people to theaters to see "RENT" goes beyond nostalgia or the desire to be entertained. "RENT" began as a social statement and continues to be so despite the changing times. Whether the battle is against AIDS or terrorism, there will always be some deadly threat in need of fighting.

Larson's musical will leave viewers with a sense of hope for the future, that no matter what times lie ahead or behind, there is life after death and that it is important not to give up on the world. Although some of the scenes in the film seem more surreal than real, the film stays true to Larson's vision and continues to share his message: that every minute of the 525,600 minutes that comprise a year is important, and the best way to measure a year of life is not in terms of minutes, but instead, in terms of love.

Grade: A