Drama in Orange County never-ending

Blood, bribery, beaches and bikinis — "The OC" is back, but far from being better than ever. For anyone who was too enraptured with the first couple weeks of school, the new season premiered Thursday, Sept. 8 at 7 p.m. on FOX. With two episodes already aired, many things have not changed: Julie Cooper is still a conniving bitch; alternative bands like Bloc Party, Death Cab For Cutie and Phantom Planet continue to provide a fresh soundtrack; and there is no shortage of beautiful people for everyone's viewing pleasure. Yet even with these familiar ingredients that have worked so well in the past, the third season is off to a rough start.

This season's premiere had a lot to work with. Picking up after last year's jaw-dropping finale could have sent the show in a number of different directions. In its closing moments, Marissa had saved Ryan's life by shooting his brother, Trey. A bit complex, but nonetheless intense. However, as captivating as the finale was, the first two episodes have managed to be completely lackluster. Trey went into a coma and quickly woke up, while Ryan was wrongly accused, but redeemed after the next commercial break. These new plot twists could have been arched over the entire first half of the season. Instead, the writers decided to resolve everything at once, sending Trey on the next bus out of Newport Beach. What kind of show wraps everything up so neatly in the first episode? The answer is one that has many new storylines in mind. Sadly, none of which appear very intriguing.

For one, what the hell is Jeri Ryan doing in the OC? New characters are always shady territory (recall Lindsay from last season), but the writers seemed to have outdone themselves with the introduction of Charlotte. A new friend Kirsten made in her last days of rehab, she spent her time looming in the background, staring at Kirsten in a very disturbing manner. Then she proceeded to invite Kirsten to stay in some secluded cabin on a lake. Sure, her intentions are a mystery, but not the kind you want to find out. The true mystery is how soon she will be gone. Turning the compelling matriarch of the Cohen household into an alcoholic last season was one thing, but this storyline is even more ludicrous.

Unfortunately, the new arrivals did not end with Charlotte. In the second episode, the writers had the bright idea of bringing in a new authority figure to mess with the kids' lives. Mr. Hess, the new dean of discipline, has already expelled Marissa and Ryan. So what if they are bad kids and get in trouble a lot? The story has been done before, so move on.

Such ridiculous new characters in Newport Beach can be overlooked for now. They will most likely be gone in a few weeks time. Besides, one new addition actually looks promising. Although technically he is not an addition, Jimmy Cooper returned. Remarrying Julie for her inheritance is just the type of stirring up the show needs. Finally, it looks as though he going to get some much-deserved payback for the way she treated him in the first season.

However, new characters always present a problem. While their stories play out, they in turn take away from the main cast — two characters specifically. The show would be lost without the up-and-down relationship between the adorably geeky Seth and the snotty, yet ever cute Summer. Much to the loyal viewers' disappointment, the bantering couple has gotten very little screen time. The writers even went as far as to give Seth a lame seaman/semen pun. That is not the Seth Cohen we know and love. Give them something to do besides play Marissa and Ryan's sidekicks — just not another love triangle, please.

No matter how bland the beginning of season three has been, fans should keep reminding themselves to enjoy what they get this year. Unless the show pulls a "Dawson's Creek" and subtly repeats a grade, the kids are in their last year of high school. Series that try to continue post-graduation always end up spoiling their original appeal. When Ryan and Seth shack up in the freshmen dorms together at UC-Newport Beach, it is over. Does everyone remember the disaster called "Saved by the Bell: The College Years?" A group of friends all going to the same school together simply does not happen. Such irrationality completely ruins a show's believability. Then again, no one really watches "The OC" for its believability, what with its weekly fistfights, occasional shootout and whatnot, now do they? Either way, they need to step up their game soon or they are going to fade fast.