Satire finds new life with Candide

Remember that one book you read in that one class that you don’t really remember going to all that often, but you know you wrote some 10-page paper on it and could have sworn it was kind of funny? Yeah, didn’t think so.

Voltaire’s comic novel, “Candide,” was the inspiration for TAPIT/new works’ latest production. “Source Code: Candide,” loosely based on the classic writer’s satire of the faiths and fables of his time, takes audiences on a wild ride through the “-isms” of today’s ever-changing world.

This wacky “carnival” of a show follows the main character, Candide, all over the world as he ventures to Afghanistan, Florida, Iraq, Las Vegas and Minnesota. “Source Code: Candide” humorously tackles fundamentalism of all kinds, including Christianity, Judaism and radical Islam — even vegetarianism.

“Source Code: Candide,” a two-act play written by Danielle Dresden, has a fierce, light-hearted and modern approach to a classic tale. Directed by Carolyne Haycraft, this production draws artists from across the country. Philadelphia’s Diane Monroe wrote the show’s original score, Michael Duffy designed sets and graphics and Donna Peckett created original tap dance. Washington, D.C.’s Donna Breslin has created costumes, with light and sound designed by Scott Leisman.

This is Diane Monroe’s second theatre project with TAPIT/new works, and while she is in the Madison area she will be conducting seminars on the UW-Madison campus. She will also be involved in a youth arts residency program at Wil-Mar Neighborhood Center. Dresden will be hosting high school matinee talkbacks for selected shows April 12-15.

The cast for “Source Code: Candide” includes producing artistic director Donna Peckett, who acts and tap dances in the show. Nelson Eisman gives a ridiculously realistic performance as Candide. Playwright Dresden and Sam White also appear. Audiences are meant to laugh at even the most stoic moments, and delve deeply into everyday issues with intense honesty. “Source Code: Candide” will likely bring audience members to their feet.

TAPIT/new works is celebrating its 20th year in Madison with “Source Code: Candide.” Created in 1985 by producing artistic directors Donna Peckett and Danielle Dresden, this performing arts organization has been determined since its onset to create and produce original theater. After 20 years in the non-profit arts world in Madison, TAPIT/new works has completed 25 original productions and conducted residencies across the nation and around the world. Dresden and Peckett are on top of their game with this latest production and are truly excited to share it with the Madison community.

When asked why students should be interested in seeing this show, Dresden offered this reason: “The play shows how the classics that [students] study in school have direct relevance to their world today.” Voltaire’s “Candide” is a favorite among classic works, with its biting humor and realism. “Source Code: Candide” should be no different, just with a modern and crazy spin on age-old ideas.

So, roll over Voltaire. The Madison community is gearing up for TAPIT/new works twentieth anniversary celebration and their world debut of “Source Code: Candide.” This hilarious ride, starting with Candide’s innocent beginnings in a faith-based multi-national corporation to the deserts of Iraq and back again to a vegetarian coffee shop in Minnesota, is quite the trip, one that students and adults alike should not miss this spring. And there won’t be any final exam questions at the end either.

Performances for general audiences are Thursday, April 14 at 7:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday, April 15-16 at 8 p.m., with a matinee performance Saturday, April 16 at 2 p.m. in the Wisconsin Studio of Madison’s Overture Center for the Arts, with talkbacks following selected performances. Tickets are on sale for $16 at the Overture Center Box Office. Call 258-4141 for reservations. Group sales are available, with a ten-person minimum. A 20th anniversary Gala celebration will follow the 2:00 p.m. Sunday, April 17, matinee performance. Gala tickets are $35. For more information, please contact TAPIT/new works at 244-2938 or e-mail at [email protected].