Awarding Madison’s best music

Madison music’s biggest night was not flawless. From will-call ticket difficulties to technical glitches prematurely announcing winners, the evening was far from seamless. Yet few in attendance seemed to mind.

Last Saturday, local artists and supporters of their sounds convened at the Wisconsin Union Theater for the second annual Madison Area Music Awards. Fulfilling the hopes of MAMA Inc. President Rick Tvedt, the evening was an intimate experience celebrating the many crafts that create Madison’s rich music culture.

The theater had an energy resembling a gathering of comrades — a clear manifestation of the optimism transferred among artists — rather than a formal awards ceremony. Emcee John Urban established this tone. Personal anecdotes and shameless self-promotion, a tactic taken up by Best Hip-Hop Artist Rob DZ, maintained it.

Following the introduction by Urban, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz stepped onto the stage to present the first award. From the moment Tom Ryan — more familiarly known as the Orange Guy — interrupted Cieslewicz’s proceedings with his piccolo, it was clear to the casual observer the next three hours would be far from ordinary. By the spectacle of the silver sequin-suited Dr. Chris Kammer closing the first half of the event, any shadow of a doubt was removed. The sight of the community-respected cosmetic dentist putting his personal philosophy of teeth brushing to music was certainly one to behold. One unlikely to be repeated.

Throughout the evening, performances were aplenty, ranging from the intense energy of the Skintones to the serenity of the Profits’ “Atlantic.” Presenters were not lacking individuality, middle finger raised and shouting the war cry “Fuck the FCC” or awkwardly interjecting “since we were so good at the first award, let’s present another one.” Recipients were representative of the vast strength of musical realms around the city, from the calm “thank you” of Best Instrumentalist Hanah Jon Taylor to the “some people say we’re assholes” that was the complete acceptance speech of Best Punk Artist Seven One Five.

After the intermission, the stage was neatly set with nearly a dozen guitars. As the lights dimmed for the show to commence, an equal number appeared from the ceiling. Anticipation rose as to what would become of all those instruments. A grand collaborative performance? A singular display of fast finger picking? Even better. All the brand new guitars — acoustic and electric, red and black and blue — will be donated to Madison area schools. Anticipation can only continue to rise as to what will become of those instruments. Such is the ultimate goal of the MAMAs, to promote music education in local schools.

The performance of avant-garde electronica artist Samarah and the Madison Boys Choir reinforced this focus. With Samarah’s sounds supporting the voices of the boys, the gap between genres was brilliantly bridged. With the youth as the focal point, the successful artist serving as a scaffold to their sound, the need to encourage those on the brink of musical expression was made evident.

Such became a running theme of the 2005 MAMAs. Unlike the Grammys, there were few thanks given to producers or agents. Rather, musicians offered appreciation for involvement in local sounds and cheered the support of school music programs.

Also common was the recognition of the MAMAs house band the Gomers, and with good reason. Situated on a mobile platform, now and then rising from the constructed pit of the theater to stage level, members of the Gomers turned flawed moments into improvisational expressions of genius.

Know Boundaries came out ready for the final performance of the evening. Ready, save for one essential cord connecting the guitar to the amp. Members ran backstage to search for the cord. Hardworking stage crew checked connections. The Gomers started playing. As Know Boundaries returned, collected and connected, the house band sang the chorus of their newest tune, “They found the cord.”

Though the last performance had its glitches, the presentation of the coveted Best Rock Artist award offered the most perfect ending. A few moments after the name Awesome Car Funmaker was announced, the four boys bounded to the podium. Not only were there a few joyful slides across the stage, but also the enthusiasm was matched with meaningful thanks. Following their recognition, ACF headed off to the Rathskeller to demonstrate exactly why they earned their award.

Before the rest of the audience joined ACF, the MAMAs’ writer and producer Matt Ahrens concluded the show, expressing, “you couldn’t try to make a homogenous show with Madison bands.” With music from all sides of the circle recognized, as encouraged by Ryan three hours previously, the MAMAs accomplished exactly what it set out to do — appreciate some of the best area talent and prepare for the possibility in future musicians.

Local music’s greatest evening may not have gone off without a hitch. But what successful musician with a MAMA sitting on his shelf did not struggle in the infancy of his sound? So too will the Madison Area Music Awards strengthen after the 2005 show. As the donated guitars hold a promise of what is to come, so too will the community anticipate future ceremonies celebrating the wide array of Madison music.