Band achieving success in face of adversity

On the last night of their tour with Simple Plan, there was a glitch. Not a minor predicament like a misplaced chord or a problem with unpleasant feedback on this November day. The Plain White T’s found their touring van completely empty — each instrument lifted, every piece of equipment stolen.

What followed was a testament to the fierce following these five boys have accrued over the years: notes of sympathy became as abundant as the donations filling their post-office box. Fans were eager to make sure nothing kept the T’s from the road they have been calling home for quite some time.

From constant touring, finding themselves on stage with the likes of Yellowcard, Jimmy Eat World and Fall Out Boy, the Chicago-born band gained a widespread base of enthusiasts. The outpouring of encouragement easily reconfirmed any shadow of doubt the band members had about their influence. The Plain White T’s reciprocated by offering groupies and newcomers alike their latest record, a reinforcement of the notion they are an entity to be noted.

For people who have experienced the band live, it is likely they have already reveled in the Plain White T’s second album, All That We Needed. Since it has been over two years since Fearless Records produced the debut record Stop, there has been time to test out and refine the accumulated material. With the crystal-clear vocals of Tom Higgenson, the additional harmonies bassist Mike Retondo and guitarist Tim Lopez offer, the riffs of Dave Tirio and the powerful beats of De’Mar Hamilton, the familiarity only makes the Plain White T’s more accessible than ever.

The sound is not particularly complex, the style not especially complicated. Where simplicity might be a problem for some bands, it is a boastful point for the Plain White T’s. Finding their niche alongside the more pop-rock veins of emo, the songs are significantly less hardcore than, say, Rights of Spring and notably less heart wrenching than Dashboard Confessional. Listeners can both understand the lyrics without the liner notes and empathize with the emotions without a personal breakdown. Think Stay What You Are from Saves the Day, with lucid vocals backed by instrumentals tight enough to provide cohesion to the songs, but loose enough to remain playful.

The simplicity of these sounds also transpire to the lyrics, words listeners can relate to, such as “I know we just got here / but I think it’s time to go / I didn’t want to believe it but now I know / You know who just walked in / and she didn’t come alone / I can’t stand to see this, get me home” from “Take Me Away.” Who hasn’t felt the need to make a quick exit after the preceding entrance of an ex?

Listeners are as drawn to the ability to capture such a common experience as they are to the honesty and Higgenson’s ability to convey those truths. The dynamic sound of the clashing drums and the tension in the vocal backings of the chorus, “She’s the end of a really sad story / but don’t feel bad for me / I started out alone / and in the end that’s where I’ll be” contained in “Sad Story” make it dramatic and equally captivating.

Perhaps the zenith of All That We Needed is found in “Breakdown,” a song pairing the energy of a driving song with the ideas surrounding the Plain White T’s participation in the 2005 Take Action Tour. With the lines “I’ve seen a suicide / he couldn’t figure it out / he blamed himself / because they couldn’t get along”, Higgenson goes beyond the personal turmoil of starry-eyed relationships, offering poignancy in the precision of his forthright insight.

Along with touring headliners Sugarcult, Head Automatica, Hawthorne Heights and Anberlin, The Plain White T’s will travel the states in the coming months, supporting the efforts of the National Hopeline Network and bringing attention to suicide prevention.

Shown by their willingness to use their music for such efforts, the Plain White T’s work toward a connection with their audience. With a strong devotion from fans and an eagerness to continue creating tunes as catchy as they are compelling, the band starts the year with a solid album, and what more could be needed?